Do Not Call Register, a response!

And here is the response I just got back: email and person's name munged.

Don...

Dear Mr McKenzie,

Thank you for your complaint regarding the call you received from Etelecom after you registered your telephone number on the Do Not Call Register.

The Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA) will write to the business concerned, advising that the complaint has been received and informing it of its legal obligations under the Do Not Call Register Act 2006 and the Telecommunications (Do Not Call Register) (Telemarketing and Research Calls) Industry Standard.

The Do Not Call Register legislative requirements are new, and industry may need some time to fully understand their obligations. ACMA will clarify the legal requirements at the highest level of the business concerned, and inform the business that penalties may apply if ACMA receives further complaints and finds that a breach of the requirements has occurred.

While ACMA will not take any further action at this time, if you receive further calls from this business which you believe to be telemarketing calls, or if you require any clarification of the above, please contact ACMA by email on xxxx at cma.gov.au.

Yours sincerely

Jxxxx Rxxxxxxxxx Telemarketing Investigations Section Australian Communications and Media Authority

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
No More Damn Spam:   http://www.wizard-of-oz.com

Serial OLED uses standard micro-SD memory cards.
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/product.php?productid=16659

USB Flash Drive interface for existing products.
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/product.php?productid=16654
Reply to
Don McKenzie

Oh goodie. Now we have an outfit that sends a kind letter to remind people of their legal obligations.

What if it were like this for speeding tickets? "Dear sir, you have been clocked at 15Km over the speed limit at location xxx. We wish to kindly remind you of your legal obligation to remain within the stated speed limit. If you ignore this letter, we will be forced to send you yet another letter..."

How much did this monstrosity cost? And who had the hair-brained idea that it was going to work? Or if it was never going to work, who had the hair-brained idea that people would be fooled into thinking that they actually DID anything?

It's times like these I'm glad a pessimistic cynic. I'm never surprised and never disappointed.

--
Linux Registered User # 302622
Reply to

"Don McKenzie" wrote :-

And here is the response I just got back: email and person's name munged.

Don...

Dear Mr McKenzie,

Thank you for your complaint regarding the call you received from Etelecom after you registered your telephone number on the Do Not Call Register.

The Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA) will write to the business concerned, -----

***** Don,you are indeed blessed,all I got back was a letter from the Privacy Commissioner saying it was absolutely nothing to do with him and that I should contact the ACMA! What I don't understand is how did the Privacy Comminisioner got involved when all I did was click on the appropriate part of the Do Not Call Register homepage to report an Australian company who was telephone spamming.

Brian g

Reply to
Brian g

exactly what I did Brian, so you may be correct. :-)

I liked Brian's analogy to a speeding ticket also.

Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
No More Damn Spam:   http://www.wizard-of-oz.com

Serial OLED uses standard micro-SD memory cards.
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/product.php?productid=16659

USB Flash Drive interface for existing products.
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/product.php?productid=16654
Reply to
Don McKenzie

Reply to
Gingre

I love it! I don't believe it, but had a good laugh anyway. :-)