OT: carbon dioxide reduction question

Since there has been all this hype about removing carbon emissions,

Why hasn't anyone come up with the concept of totally banning soft drinks, since these are all made with carbon dioxide (for the carbonated water) and unlike electricity and transport fuels are definitely not an essential item to humanity (Debatably quite the opposite) and would cause relatively small disruption to society if banned.

This kind of struck me today when i walked past a bar and saw large cylinders marked carbon dioxide being unloaded for use in drinks.

Reply to
kreed

Would you extend this to beer, ale and sparkling wines?

For shame!

Reply to
Charlie

snipped-for-privacy@i30g2000yqd.googlegroups.com...

Hmmmm... I suppose removing the CO2 is a good idea. The trees, grass and other plant life wouldn't grow as fast. Less grass to cut. Wait. I don't have to cut the grass.

Hmmmm... I suppose the plant growth would also slow down the oxygen produced too. That might be good! Maybe all the CO2 idiots would suffocate!

Reply to
Jim Whitby

**It's not hype. It's all about science. Something you have no familiarity with.
**Because, my scientifically ignorant 'friend', the CO2 used for the production of soft drinks is extracted from the air. IOW, the CO2 in soft drinks is actually assisting with the REMOVAL of CO2 from the atmosphere. That is a good thing. OTOH, a case could be made for banning soft drinks on the basis that they use energy for their manufacture and are, generally, an appalling way for humans to obtain kilojoules.
**Did it strike you to think where that CO2 came from? It is extracted from the atmosphere. Thus carbonated soft drinks actually help with removing CO2 from the atmosphere.
--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

**BIG difference. Beer and some sparkling wines generate their own CO2 via the fermentation process.
**For shame indeed. WFT were you idiots doing when you were supposed to be learning science in school?
--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

WTF does WFT mean?

Reply to
Metro

**LOL! That would be a typo.
--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Wantonly Feeding Trolls

Michael A. Terrell

Then why do breweries need huge tanks of Carbon Dioxide?

Michael A. Terrell

**They don't. Well, not all of them. CO2 is not required for beer, though it is used sometimes.
--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Considering the intellectual content of your post, it would seem you are a non-CO2 idiot. CO2 content of the atmosphere is not a limiting factor of plant growth. Moisture, sunlight, minerals, and temperature are the key limiting factors. Temperature is the wild card - as temperatures increase plants at the warmer end of their range no longer thrive. Eventually plants which are hardy at the higher temperature will supplant them, but in the interim there is less growth, and less CO2 absorbed.

PlainBill

Reply to
PlainBill

Now I'm waiting for someone to suggest soft drink vaults for CO2 sequestration... :)

Reply to
Dennis

If you really want to cut back on global warming, learn how to trim and edit your posts.

Jeff

--
"Everything from Crackers to Coffins"
Reply to

Every bit sent via the net takes a small amount of energy to transmit. Multiply that by the number of news servers and it adds up.

And yes, ya done good Dennis.

Jeff

--
"Everything from Crackers to Coffins"
Reply to
Jeffrey Angus

CO2 is produced in the production of beer. It is collected ( or harvested in NS ) and used in the bars and pubs etc for the serving thereof.

Reply to
Metro

The ones I have visited (northern Europe, mainly) have tanks for

*collecting* the CO2 byproduct of brewing, and it is then used industrially or in-house for carbonated drinks.
Reply to
who where

The blueprints I saw for one brewery had a large tank, and piping for tank trucks to deliver Carbon Dioxide.

Michael A. Terrell

What I know as beer gas A lot of the generated gas in the fermentation process is used to compress the kegs and larger container for delivery , very strong beer smell of course

--
Reply to
atec77

O2 via

ng for

So in other words, the brewing process generates CO2 ?

(Not that it matters of course)

Reply to
kreed