RF Circuit Design - Chris Bowick

Gentlemen,

Has anyone got both the first *and* second editions of this book? Were
all the errors in the first edition fixed in the second? Is there any
new content in the second which would make it worth the bother to
order?

CD

Re: RF Circuit Design - Chris Bowick

I don't know.  The first and 2nd edition are 23 and 13 years old
respectively.  Methinks you might do better with something more recent
(unless you're doing antique radios).

Free PDF download:

Microwave and RF Design  (3rd Edition)
<https://repository.lib.ncsu.edu/handle/1840.20/36776
 Fundamentals of Microwave and RF Design
 Microwave and RF Design: Radio Systems, Volume 1
 Microwave and RF Design: Transmission Lines, Volume 2
 Microwave and RF Design: Networks, Volume 3
 Microwave and RF Design: Modules, Volume 4
 Microwave and RF Design: Amplifiers and Oscillators, Volume 5

There are questions at the end of each chapter to see if you've been
paying attention.  I haven't read every book cover to cover, but have
been selectively picking out bits and pieces as I need them.  If the
books are too advanced for you, kindly disclose what problem you're
trying to solve and I'll try to find something more appropriate.

Re: RF Circuit Design - Chris Bowick

Well, Smith charts are pretty old too. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

Paper Smith Charts are fairly old, but online versions are fairly new.
It's much more interesting to use an interactive computer program to
see what happens on the Smith Chart when components and transmission
lines are added or changed.  For example:
<https://www.will-kelsey.com/smith_chart/
<https://www.microwaves101.com/smith-chart/smith-chart-tool-v1
<http://cgi.www.telestrian.co.uk/cgi-bin/www.telestrian.co.uk/smiths.pl
<https://quicksmith.online
etc...  a 13 or 23 year old book will likely not have any mention of
using a computah version of the Smith Chart.

Re: RF Circuit Design - Chris Bowick

I click on the links but I doesn't get no downloads.

The Radiotron Designers Handbook (4th edition) is an excellent starter. I
first mentioned it here in 2006. It is available at:

http://www.tubebooks.org/books/rdh4.pdf

The Art of Electronics is another popular book. Available on Amazon.

LTspice is an extremely valuable tool. Most people run the updated
version, I stayed on IV. Available at:

"https://www.analog.com/en/design-center/design-tools-and-
calculators/ltspice-simulator.html"

There are many useful tutorials on the web.

The Yahoo LTspice group has been active for many years. It was
transferred to groups.io when Yahoo decided to terminate the forums.

Helmut has run the group since inception. He is a very experienced
designer for LTspice models. You will find it very hard to find flaws in
his work.

In addition, Andy, analogspiceman and Bordodynov are also very skilled
experts in LTspice. You can learn a great deal from their work.

You can find their posts in groups.io:

https://groups.io/g/LTspice/

--
Science teaches us to trust. - sw

Re: RF Circuit Design - Chris Bowick

Was, unfortunately. He died last June.  :(

Cheers

Phil Hobbs
--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

That's why he has been so quiet lately.

What about winfield hill? Haven't heard from him either.

Science teaches us to trust. - sw

Re: RF Circuit Design - Chris Bowick

<snip>

I swapped an e-mail with him a month or so ago. Covid-19 seems have been chewing into his neighbours back then, and he may be distracted,  or worse.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Re: RF Circuit Design - Chris Bowick

That was stupid. I should have said his posts in groups.io and here in SED
are extremely valuable.

--
Science teaches us to trust. - sw

Re: RF Circuit Design - Chris Bowick
cut
works fine for me.

Re: RF Circuit Design - Chris Bowick
Adding a vote for Lee's "Planar Microwave Engineering"  Not comprehensive, but topics covered are covered well.   And it certainly covers quite a bit more than the title suggests.

Re: RF Circuit Design - Chris Bowick

The DOI links don't work.  Scroll further down the page to the links
under "Files in this item".  They all work.  Click on the PDF's to
download.

Re: RF Circuit Design - Chris Bowick

Great books !   Don't think I'd seen that collection before.

Re: RF Circuit Design - Chris Bowick

That's because they were recently published in Sept 2019.  Fame and
fortune take some time to arrive.  They're also college text books,
which don't get much general publicity by the publishers.  However,
this might be an exception.  The six books are available in paperback:
<https://uncpress.org/search-results/?keyword=Micheal+Steer
Approximately $14 in paperback for each book.

Re: RF Circuit Design - Chris Bowick

Not bad !    My problem is space... space... space......

I do buy books online sometimes too in PDF form as well as printed
sometimes though.

Trying to downsize. I can't throw away or recycle good material that I
"might" need to look at some day :)

Re: RF Circuit Design - Chris Bowick

Try this exercise.  Pick an "important" book at random from your shelf
and search the interknot for a free scanned or PDF version of the
book.  If you can't find those, search for an eBook version in one of
the more common formats.  My guess(tm) is that I can find about 75% of
what is on my bookshelf.  The nice thing about the electronic versions
is that I can usually search the text for buzzwords.  For printed
books, I have to use an index or table of contents.  The problem with
scanned books is that the pictures and graphs all look like garbage.

Like everyone else who has spent a lifetime collecting reference
books, recycling them is painful.  I've tried to donate them to worthy
organizations, give them away on Freecycle.org, sell them for the cost
of shipping on eBay and Craigs List, and donate them to the local
charities.  Nobody want old technical books.  So far, I've had the
best luck leaving them in a "free" box in front of my office door to
be grabbed by the homeless and possibly university students.

I'm also trying to downsize.  I look online for the book to buy or
downloads.  After I determine that the downloaded book is adequate,
the original book disappears from my shelves.

Incidentally, I used to collect technical books from between the start
of WWI and the end of WWII.  It's not a huge collection, but it does
make interesting reading.  Many of the de facto standards used in
today's electronics were established during this time.  These will be
the last books to be purged from my shelves.

Re: RF Circuit Design - Chris Bowick

One of my old books that still have and the PDF version is the
Radiotron Designers Book...   That is one of the hardback books I just
have to keep.

Good idea to take one at random and look though.  I just might try
that !

Re: RF Circuit Design - Chris Bowick

Of course, paper books last a great deal longer than electronic devices.
  Most SED denizens may not be expecting to outlast their latest
e-reader gizmo, but it's worth mentioning. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

I've a colleague who discovered a packrat (or some other sort of rodent)
had managed to chew a portion of the texts that he'd stored in a shed
(no basements, here).  He only realized this after a leak in that shed's
roof managed to soak several boxes of those texts!  :-/

Of course, had they all been stored in digital form, he could have had
limitless copies of the entire archive (cloud, safe deposit box,
bookshelf in the living room, kitchen drawer, etc.).

And, he'd be far less likely to have to decide which titles to discard
(for lack of dry, rodent-free storage space!  :> )

[one thing you DON'T want to do is adopt a "closed" document format for
electronic media lest you find yourself looking for a 30 year old
MagiReader 2000 when YOURS shits the bed!]

Re: RF Circuit Design - Chris Bowick

Rubbermaid bins are pretty cheap.  I sure wouldn't store books in
cardboard boxes in an outbuilding--just the mildew would be an issue.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs