netgear smpsu update

Ross Herbert kindly drew up a schematic of his unit. I've posted it at:

please ad a 10nf cap from pin 8 of the 3843 IC to primary ground and the zener on pin 7 is 20Volt.

Peter

Reply to
Peter

"Peter"

** Some of the component values are kinda hard to read - is the word "Schotty" next to the diode on the primary side of the transformer ??

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Note that there should also be a 10nF from pin 8 to gnd (error of omission)and the zener at pin 7 is 20V.

Ross H

Reply to
Ross Herbert

yeah, looks like it.

Reply to
Peter

"Peter"

** When you find an 800 volt Schottky diode - let us know.

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

hahahahahahaha

reel him in!!!!!

Reply to
Peter

Silicon Carbide:

600 and 1200V schottky diodes :)

of course it'd be overkill there, thats what god invented BYV26E for.

Cheers Terry

Reply to
Terry Given

what possible use is the 750k? by itself, it wont trip the current comparator until the DC bus reaches 2800V or so.

It'd be interesting to look at the turn-on overshoot, i'd expect it to be quite bad. Likewise the response to a step load removal will be pretty shitty. I presume the output choke is a bobbin core?

Cheers Terry

Reply to
Terry Given

That one has me stumped as well. I had to triple check to make sure I was seeing right. I haven't seen this arrangement on any SMPS before.

Reply to
Ross Herbert

I can think of no valid reason to do this.

its often done (albeit at lower voltages) to reduce the current sense threshold by adding an offset to the comparator, but here the offset is only 137mV, 1/8th of full-scale. If that was the intention, the smps supply could do that with a much smaller resistor (40k or so).

it is also common to add in some slope compensation at the current sense comparator, with a resistor to the Rt/Ct pin (actually, a buffered version thereof), but thats NOT whats going on here.

I'd be a bit concerned about the feedback loop, although a pcmc flyback looks like a single pole, the output filter adds another pair, the opto adds a 4th pole, and the 10nF cap across the opto adds a 5th pole. thats probably why the feedback network is a 1uF cap. yuk.

I once worked on a 400W flyback (1000Vdc in, 24Vdc out) whose closed-loop bandwidth was 1Hz - you could see the step response on a moving-coil meter.

Cheers Terry

Reply to
Terry Given

"Terry Given" = criminal KIWI FUCKWHIT

** 1.6 to 1.8 volts drop at rated current !

ROTFLMAO

What a schizo, sheep shagging cretyn !!

......... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

"Ross Herbert"

** The 750 kohms simple pre sensitises the current sense input.

Likely saves the mosfet in some overload conditions.

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Phil, whats the voltage drop of a silicon diode at 10-20A? what about Qrr? Now you see why these exist.

And they do exist, hence my "letting you know"

Cheers Terry

Reply to
Terry Given

what, by an extra 137mV from 1V? thats not very sensitive. And a 45k resistor to UC384x supply would do the same job.

Cheers Terry

Reply to
Terry Given

"Terry Given"

** WRONG.

......... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

not if the 20V zener is actually clamping.

if the zener is not clamping and the chip supply is less, then yes, a smaller resistor will do. baby maths:

137mV = Vcc*(301.8/(Rvcc + 301.8))

if Vcc = 340V, Rvcc = 750k, Pr = (340-0.137)^2/750k = 154mW

this needs to be a 1/4W 400V rated resistor

if Vcc = 20V, Rvcc = 43.8k, Pr = (20-0.137)^2/43.8k = 9mW

an 0201, 0402, 0603, 0805 or 1206 smt resistor would work fine here.

if Vcc = 12V, Rvcc = 26k, Pr = (12-0.137)^2/26k = 5mW

and here.

750K to Vdc is a pretty daft thing to do.

Cheers Terry

Reply to
Terry Given

"Phil Allison" wrote without thinking in message news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net...

You mean mosfet will save resistor in some overload conditions.

Q. What is the fastest thingie on three legs? A. FET

Reply to
Virus