nessbaSony T.V.

Hi folks, looking for some help with t.v. problem. I'm a retired electronics tech, but only worked in industrial electronics. Junior comes along (3 weeks ago) & says dad, fix my t.v. burning smell, no sound or pic & it goes tic, tic.tic. First thing I checked was the line output transistor. Short circuit. Ordered a new one ($24.00) turned the set on with the transistor out & power supply came up & sound. Couldn't see any signs of distress anywhere, so installed the new transistor. Everything o.k. soaked for 8 hours on a hot day & the set ran perfectly. Gave it back & have since been told it failed the next day. I don't have it back yet & don't know what the current problem is, but I would put money on it being the line out transistor again. I doubt that it is shorted turns in the line out transformer as it certainly wouldn't run for 8 hours. I could change all the electro's in the horizontal stage, but don't believe you should fix faults by such a blanket approach. Any help greatly appreciated. Dave.

Reply to
tyuo59

Check for dry joints on the line driver transformer if fitted and look for any distress marks or swelling on line output tuning capacitors (high voltage polyester types)

Cheers John.

Reply to
John Ferrier