Jetstar unveils thin client, BYO laptop vision

The actual RDP part is plain old Microsoft RDP. The only thing that's different is that it incorporates Wyse TCX multimedia redirection. Wait til you see PCoIP - It makes RDP with MMR look like an old donkey :-)

How many users are you talking about? You don't want too many users per template, or read contention becomes an issue.

--
Kwyj.
Reply to

You clearly haven't seen any of the recent ones (

It can run from the stick as well.

--
Kwyj.
Reply to

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ prolly status quo......money down the drain. i think a large percentage of so called "teachers" are only semi literate themselves....the only advantage may be spell check..

--
jonz
"Usenet is like a herd of performing elephants with diarrhea - massive,

Not a chance, we had two Microbees and some ancient thing that read punchcards ;-)

Reply to
Clocky

Clearly that was just a typo, but the question remains just as valid.

Reply to
Clocky

Not a good time to be working for Jetstar in general. The article suggests that Jetstar expect you to own your own laptop. No doubt, Jetstar will "help" you buy one. If you have had a suitable private school education you will understand that they expect you to have your own computer and that they are entitled to earn a commission when you buy it .

Reply to
David Segall

Yes, of course it can, I was just addressing the - possible - performance issue.

[1] HP
Reply to
Frank Slootweg

Oh. My condolences. That explains your poor experience.

--
Kwyj.
Reply to

Ah yes the Microbee 32K wonderful and a tape drive to load programmes.

Reply to
Rob

LOL :-) Too true.

Andy.

--
Registered Linux User #478766
Andy

OVer the last few years I have considered all sorts of architechtures for different apps, and they all have their place.

Take for example, ebay. web client for most users. However power sellers have the option of 3rd party smart clients. Have you tried using a web client on daily basis for business? Think apps like people soft.

Your accountant? As a business owner I use a web based accounting package. However my accountant would be unable to use it efficiently and instead uses a thick client.

However, if you own a large chain of businesses doing POS then a web client will not cut it and a thin client is a lot more suited.

This is why I refuse to buy into the deabates on thin v web v smart v thick client becase all have their place in modern computing.

Reply to
The Real Andy

Thin clients are an excuse for IT departments to party like its 1985, they have hated the users being able to do their own thing, now they are drawing it all back into the computer room again.

Reply to
keithr

LOL. Well put, Sylvia.

   \\|/  \\|/     it is illegal to kill them."    Perna condita delenda est
Bob Larter

Weird, all the IT depts I worked for hated them.

Reply to
terryc

My experience is quite postive, thank you, because it's not limited to the "

Reply to
Frank Slootweg

Bullshit. That's as stupid as claiming that PC's haven't changed since the 80's.

Name one thin client that provided a remote GUI capability back in the 80's, stupid.

--
Kwyj.
Reply to

Crap. Users have the same permissions on a virtual desktop as they have on a physical PC. It's all dependent on how the OS has been configured (user permissions, group policies etc.) and has SFA to do with how the OS is accessed.

--
Kwyj.
Reply to

Well, they still have the same components, just different styles really.

All of them. It was just a matter of a longer monitor cable. Ohterwise, it is just the application they run.

Reply to
terryc

"Thin clients" in the 80's were simply remote TTY devices. They were only capable of displaying text - not a GUI.

--
Kwyj.
Reply to

So the user can just slip in a CD or a DVD and load a new application of their choosing at will?

Reply to
keithr