Isolated, regulated, toroidal step down transformer AC power supply design.

BINGO!!!! You have just solved the riddle of why you shouldnt top post.

Reply to
Two Bob

Mark

Oh, very droll. I meant I haven't had the lid off SINCE it was suggested that I take the measurements. Not YET, anyway.

I finished recapping it around 12 months ago.

The AC/AC transformer measures 11.2 VAC when unloaded.

Reply to
Mark

You, Mark, are a mere simple troll. You fit the definition perfectly. From

"The most basic form of trolling is to submit a post that will attract the most possible amount of responses, negative or argumentative replies usually preferred, and then to sit back and bask in the chaos that has been created. This troll is simply out for immediate scoreboard and a quick win is enough to satisfy him. The tactic is basic, relatively uncreative, and only touches the surface of what a troll can really do; yet it's effective in accomplishing its singular task--to attract attention and garner as many responses as possible. The content delivered by this type of troll generally falls into several areas; It may consist of an obviously foolish opposition of common knowledge, many intentional offensive insults or flames directed to the readers of a community, or a blanket generation on a specific category which is sure to attract a large number of argumentative replies."

I'm not going to play your silly game.

Reply to
Bob Parker

Thanks. I am currently trialing my existing UPS for just that purpose.

I need to collect a few weeks data.

Mark

LOL, well that is just the epitome of clear communication, Bob.

follow your example I should perhaps

and

Reply to
Mark

Get back under your bridge, troll.

Reply to
Bob Parker

Reply to
Mark

Before I comment, I'll just point out that I'm ignoring all the flamage in the rest of this thread.

Firstly, you won't be able to get a 'regulated' 9VAC out of a transformer (short of spending a heap of money on a ferro-resonant unit), & it's extrememly unlikely that you actually need one anyway.

Secondly, it's impossible to give you useful advice unless you specify the required output voltages & current requirements. (Eg; 9VAC at 1 Amp.) And preferably, what your intended application is. Eg; a modem might require a 9VAC @ 500mA adapter, but will convert it into +/-5VDC @ 200mA.

Thirdly, if we know what the intended application is, (eg; the above modem), we can work out how well regulated the *power supply circuit* (not the transformer!) needs to be.

If you can clear up the above points, I (& many others here, of course) might be able to give you a useful answer.

--
   W  "Some people are alive only because it is illegal to kill them."
 . | ,. w ,

How about you take the damn lid off NOW and measure the voltage WHEN LOADED too?

Having done that you might as well measure the voltages at the input and output of the regulators, like countless others have suggested.

Oh, and while you are about it, measure the voltages when FULLY LOADED as well. Perhaps the load does not vary, but then how the hell would I know, because you insist that nobody needs to know what the gismo is.

Andy Wood snipped-for-privacy@trap.ozemail.com.au

Reply to
Andy Wood

I apologise for assuming you had some level of competence and experience with electronics. I clearly misjudged you initially.

However, what I can tell now after reading these inumerable posts containing so little information about your alleged "device" and so much sbout yourself and your opinions is that whether you know it or not, you're a troll. I don't think your motivations nor intentions in going on this way are to solve whatever problem you might have, it's to cause conflict and grief.

I doubt whether this "device" actually exists, or whether it's a construct of experiences and things you've read, as when put together none of it makes sense and you are unable to come up with a cogent explanation.

In a similar way, I doubt all this business about your family - it's such an irrelevant thing to bring into a discussion about a technical issue - it sounds like another fabrication you've made up and thrown in just to cause conflict and confusion.

I don't quite get what it is you find so attractive about trolling, but I do regret being sucked in and trying to offer help.

Reply to
Poxy

. . .

Ok Mark, I have come up with a solution for you.

I have to warn you that it will take some effort, but it is guaranteed to solve your clipping problem.

You will need to gather the the right tools and parts first:

Anti-static mat and wrist strap.

250W soldering iron.

About 25cm of 2.5mm diameter pure silver wire.

One of Bob's ESR meters (if you are lucky you might still find one at DSE, otherwise Bob says there is a mob in Canada that supply them).

A large assortment of those Black Gate capacitors - perhaps you have some left over?

A big sheet of bubble wrap.

This is what you need to do:

I'm sure you have heard that some electronic components are sensitive to static electricity, so only work on the anti-static mat and ground yourself with the wrist strap.

Open up the amplifier - sorry, I mean the secret device, and locate the diodes in the power supply circuitry. You said that the voltage drop across these can be ignored, but that is just not true - voltage drop across a diode can be a killer, so those diodes have to go. As you no doubt know, silver is a very good conductor, so for minimum voltage drop you need to replace all the diodes with a short length of the silver wire. You will probably need to drill out the holes in the PCB a little to do this. Unfortunately, silver is also a good conductor of heat so this is where you will need the the 250W soldering iron.

Now I know you have already been through the "recapping" process, but you have more work to do. With those Black Gate caps being so good, a few more in there are bound to work wonders, and you can achieve this by replacing all low value resistors with some of the wonder caps. Of course, to do this you have to know what value of capacitor is equivalent to a particular resistor, and this is where Bob's magic device comes in - you see, it will give you a resistance measurement for a capacitor! Paradoxically, good capacitors usually have low equivalent resistance, so you might have to use many capacitors in series to get the required value, but then that is really good news because you can cram more of that Black goodness in there.

Once you have done that you can replace the cover and then wrap the whole thing carefully in bubble wrap and secure it with tape or string, and then carefully place it in the garbage bin.

Andy Wood snipped-for-privacy@trap.ozemail.com.au

Reply to
Andy Wood

I was drinking some coffee while I read that, and I *almost* sprayed the monitor when I started laughing! Very well done Andy - thanks. :-)

Bob

Reply to
Bob Parker

Perhaps Mark could check the variability of his mains supply with this gadget...

dmm

gadget...

Hehehehe!

Reply to
Bob Parker

Reply to
Mark

What a stupendously stupid proposition to make.

The topographic particulars of any individual post has NO IMPACT whatsoever on the chronology or the EXTERNAL thread structure of any given subject of conversation on Usenet, AFAIK.

If you have a reader that CAN thread conversations based on the internal topographic details of the text of individual posts, then good for you, but you can't expect others to adjust their habits for the peculiar capabilities of your reader.

Reply to
Mark

Can't do it NOW, Andy. I'll get around to it.

I am a little apprehensive about pok>

Reply to
Mark

"To get attention, causing disruptions, *annoy people*, or general chaos are almost always at the top of a troll's agenda."

Reply to
Bob Parker

Pfffft....

You make some of the most inane suggestions, dress them up as cognisant arguments and then call ME the Troll!??

Bob, ANY>> What a stupendously stupid proposition to make.

Reply to
Mark