Isolated, regulated, toroidal step down transformer AC power supply design.

He wants everyone to keep playing his infantile guessing game so he can remain the centre of attention. How many commercially manufactured mains-powered electronic devices are critically sensitive to normal mains voltage variations, requiring precise regulation of the input voltage? About none that I know of. Even UPSs have to see a pretty big variation before they cut in. He's had this problem since he went through this audiophile thing, ripped out most of the electrolytic caps and replaced them with audiophile ones. Remember his comment about us being too dull to ask him if he'd made any bad solder joints? He's made a pig's breakfast of what was a normally functioning CD player or whatever it is, and now wants some loony solution to mask a fault *he* caused. And no Mark, we're not going to keep trying to guess what it is. My suspicion is that the reason you don't want to tell is because it's some audiophile thing you know Phil will laugh his head off about, and you're scared of Phil from your experience in the aus.hi-fi newsgroup. Here endeth today's sermon.... :-)

Reply to
Bob Parker

**Nope.

they still have

**Nope. That is what makes them excellent for low level audio applications.
--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

excellent attempt! I dont think that would work overly well though....if at all.

A+ for effort Jasen!

Cheers Terry

Reply to
Terry Given

On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 03:21:09 +1000, "Mark" put finger to keyboard and composed:

ASCII art needs to be viewed with a fixed width font, eg Courier. Is that your problem?

This was the original format:

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

"Trevor Wilson" "jasen"

** Many of then DO have the secondary wound directly over the primary.

Only way to achieve the very low external mag fields.

Not so good for safety, though.

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

**I stand corrected. Some are so configured.
--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Interesting idea, but I think technically knowledgeable people would see right through it .... :-)

Reply to
Bob Parker

Some of my assumptions may well have been incorrect, but they are ALL THERE in the thread and that was ALL I claimed about them.

..but you retorted "No it isn't. You simply spout a whole lot of hogwash in your thread."

So you can probably understand my frustration (about being asked to repeat things over and over again) and my futher presumptions that:

a) You didn't read (or understand) the thread. You got it wrong.

b) Having not read (or understood) the thread, decided that I was "spout[ing] a whole lot of hogwash in [my] thread."

So, you came to a conclusion on a wrong basis. I.E. Having not read or understood the thread.

I HAVE read the thread. ALL of it. And I know that you have made little contibution to what has already been written.

Yes, it is a pair of half-wave rectifiers which DOUBLE the voltage. 9 VAC in and +/-15 VDC out AFTER regulation. Before regulation it MUST be something less than 18 VDC, but the schematic does not specify this. The diodes look like Schottkys to me, I haven't replaced them.

I would say that these simple features (9 VAC in, 15 VAC out, after regulation) qualify the rectifier as a "voltage DOUBLING design". It is in the SCHEMATIC and I can reproduce it.

I am calling your BLUFF. It is a "voltage DOUBLING design".

Wolf in a sheep's clothing.

Reply to
Mark

You are not compelled to treat others with the same respect with which they treat you, but it is advised in all cases.

However, to surmise what my be your position: "Tell us what WE[1] need to know or suffer our abuse" does not qualify as just or fair treatment for anybody.

If you truely believe otherwise, then I think they have a job for you at Guantanamo Bay. (get it?)

[1] I would like to point out that it is you purports to speak for others, not me.

I don't really think that IS your position, but it was a very silly thing to say.

Reply to
Mark

No, it must be more than that or the regulators won't regulate. Once again, you have no idea what you are talking about.

No it isn't. You don't have a clue. You've said so previously. It's a pair of half wave rectifiers, one for the +DC rail and one for the -DC rail.

Reply to
swanny

Ok, thanks for that link. No, it isn't like mine.

Mine has two extra diodes in the bridge, (four diodes in all) but it ISN'T a full wave rectifier.

Instead of converting the whole of the input waveform to ONE waveform of constant polarity, I produces two bi-polar waveforms (+/-) and doubles the voltage of each of them.

Mark

That's right Mark. Keep pretending you can't see my questions asking if this fault happened after you fiddled with the electronics. Just keep babbling on about half-wave rectifiers and voltage doublers as though this is some mysterious problem unrelated to you tearing out all those naughty horrible-sounding ordinary capacitors and installing the Backgates you got from Hawaii. Half-wit.

Reply to
Bob Parker

Yeah, OK that's really creative thinking.

I think the UPS solution may be cheaper and easyier. Looking into it. Thanks.

Reply to
Mark

Yeah, someone else suggested the UPS. I think they can be purchased quite cheaply on EBay. I have no idea how others do it or if they suffer the same problems.

We live >> Good boy, Trevor. At least you grasped that much. An SMPS is not an

Reply to
Mark

"Mark"

** Might as well just post your address and phone number as tell us that.

How *are* things in beautiful Merbein tonight - really jumpin like usual ?

ROTFL !!!

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

it is but it's all upside down.

how about you select the relevant bits and bring them all together.

--

Bye.
   Jasen

On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 22:12:49 +1000, Bob Parker put finger to keyboard and composed:

In my first post to this thread I tried to diplomatically steer the OP toward first principles in the hope that the penny would drop, but he clearly has no understanding of the basics. It would have been far better for him to have acknowledged his ignorance at the outset. Instead he has chosen to engage in damage control and in so doing has only dug himself into a deeper hole.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

Correction: what *may be your position.

Reply to
Mark

You said (in what I think was your second post on this thread).

"You are missing the point. There is no way that you can get 15VDC from a 9.00 VAC rms sine wave using only rectification, filtering and regulation "

Well, you were 100% wrong about that, Franc. I can even produce the schematic diagram which proves your statement incorrect.

BUT I DIDN'T RESPOND BY INSULTING YOU, as many others would have done.

And now, it is you who "engage[s] in damage control" by trying to draw attention away from your error and towards my alleged arrogance.

Unfortunately for you, I have acknowledged my ignorance about electronics (on this very thread) about 1/2 dozen times PRIOR to your allegation. So, the allegation doesn't come through the wash.

I don't blame you particularly for engaging in damage control, but it is a very weak position for you to take. You must be in that second class of 'Phil-o-phile', one who fears him.

Reply to
Mark

I can see your questions Bob.

The problem wasn't caused by the recapping, it pre-existed.

It was one of the motivations for recapping the applications power supply.

Reply to
Mark