Is Sony Hardware Also To Be Avoided

I think the biggest drawback with the Hard Drive type cameras is that you have to carry a laptop with you when you go touring - it means spending another 2 or

3 thousand $$$ and would drive me bananas - like most other people I went for a tape type camera - I just need to carry a few extra tapes with me, and can easily buy more of I run out while on hols.

Of couse the better quality (AVI) originals you get with saving to tape is a big plus to me, but may not be important to others

I can't really think of any advantages of saving to a HD, unless the camera is just used around the house and (original) quality is not an issue

David

"Mr.T" wrote:

Reply to
quietguy

I can't see any major advantage to the HD ones either. The DV tape ones give better quality recording, are cheaper (good quality widescreen units can be had for well under $500), spare tapes are available almost anywhere anytime, and the tape is an excellent way to archive your orginal quality recordings on.

No contest really.

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

A friend is using a Ipod like device with a 80 gig hard drive and you just plug the cards into it .

Battery life is approx 6 hours of use and it costs approx 350 dollars, but adds heaps of portability and no notebook

I will find out the brand for reference

have

2 or

for a

camera is

CCD

Reply to
FruitLoop

Depends how far you are from your computer really and how long you're away from it. Tape systems don't really have a limit on how much footage you can capture.

Michael

Reply to
Michael C

There are plenty of those around but I doubt any work with a hdd camera yet.

Michael

Reply to
Michael C

Even so I think you've got a better chance with a name brand because the company will be more likely to insist on a certain quality. Despite what people have said here I'd still buy from Sony over "Super Golden Mega Electronics Co"

Michael

Reply to
Michael C

While I will never buy Sony stuff again because of their fiddling with the register of Windows with their CDs, I do agree that brand name stuff is the only way to go if you are spending big bickies. Whether the stuff is any better than no-name is not just the issue - Sony or JVC or Kenwood etc etc etc branded gear is more likely to have been reviewed, and the mfg or labeller is much more likely to be around for repairs etc. Also, the brand names tend to be fussy about who they appoint as their Aussie agents - whereas the nonames will generally sell to any Tom, Dick, or Mary, whether or not they are able to provide service, spare part backup, and tech support

David

Michael C wrote:

Reply to
quietguy

just

yet.

Why? It's just data on a USB bus after all.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

can

I agree, and I don't like the current HDD cameras either, but I still remember paying over $15 per tape, which does add up pretty quick. Thankfully tape prices are a bit cheaper now, but still far more than a blank DVD though.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

Not me. You can usually buy 3 or 4 similar quality machines from "SGMEC" than Sony, (and each one will probably last just as long as the Sony, or longer), and the service will probably be non existent in both cases. You don't have to buy them all at once though, so you can upgrade to the latest features everytime you get a new one.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T