Can Toshiba tube TV be repaired now days?

My brother has a nice 27" tube TV (flat screen) that has gone bad. The unit is only abt 6 years old.

They were watching it Sat night and the picture shrank down to one thin horizontal line that stretches across the screen. In other words. it has no vertical scanning I think.

He said I could have this TV if I wanted it but I live in a rural area and no where to take it to have it fixed!

So.... questions:

  1. What is the part that has failed in this set given its symptoms?

  1. Is it worth fixing it? If yes, where can I get the part and could I install it myself?

Thanks!!

Reply to
me

You are correct, it is a lack of vertical scanning. There are probably 30+ parts involved with the vertical deflection circuits, including transistors, resistors, capacitors, Integrated circuits, connectors, wires, etc. Without knowing a fair amount about tv sets/ electronics, it would be a crap shoot to decide which part(s) to replace. But, it should not be an expensive repair, the problem is the set is getting old and the new change to digital transmission will make the set obsolete for regular tv transmissions after next Spring. So, unless you need a boat anchor, the best thing to do is leave the set in the City.

Reply to
hrhofmann

But should note that if you just wanted for watching tapes or DVDs or for video games or other direct connection including satellite, then it will still be useful after the digital switcheroo.

If the set was working well before the vertical died, it may still be worth fixing. 6 years isn't that much even with today's quality (or lack thereof) if it wasn't heavily used.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Sam Goldwasser

Have you ever repaired electronics and do you have any idea at all of what circuits do what inside a tv?

Reply to
Meat Plow

That was my thought if I could fix it. It does have a nice set direct video input ports.... was thinking if it could be repaired would make a nice monitor for other uses

yeah I'm dismayed it only lasted abt 6 years!!

Reply to
me

No repair experience but a fair amount of electronic knowledge

two years of electronics school and a general class ham license

Reply to
me

Ok thanks

I was hoping that everything would be "modular" inside...so would be a matter of just puling a module out and sticking a new one in there.

But sounds like its not.... so will just shit can it I guess. Too bad

Reply to
me

Vertical deflection has failed. My experience says that there's a decent chance it's nothing but a bad solder joint. Could also be the vertical output IC and possibly a couple related components. If you have knowledge of electronics and know how to solder, you may be able to repair this yourself, otherwise if you take it to a tech, this is a fairly straightforward repair that should not cost too much and you may well get many more years of service out of it.

Reply to
James Sweet

Why? Give it a shot, there's enough info in the FAQ to fix it. You could at least try resoldering the vertical section. If all else fails, post it on craigslist and see if anyone wants it, I'd take it off your hands if I was in your area.

The obsolete thing is BS, millions of "obsolete" analog TVs will remain in service, for users with cable, satellite, or the new converter boxes, these sets will continue to work just fine, and for SD content a good CRT set looks a lot better than those crappy flat panels. Salesmen of course are drooling over the opportunity to sell piles of new TVs to ignorant consumers.

Reply to
James Sweet

Hi voltages inside a tv can cause injury or death. Do a little research on modern day vertical deflection circuits. Your problem could possibly be a failed electrolytic cap somewhere in that circuit which normally won't show physical signs of being defective. Find and inspect the areas containing the vertical deflection components for obvious physical defects (burns, swelling, poorly soldered). If nothing obvious, obtain service literature and take some voltages. You'll need to understand the signal path from it's origin to the point where it leaves the board and finds its way to the vertical coil in the deflection yoke then figure out at which point it stops. This sometimes requires a scope and schematic with wave form examples depending upon how many discrete components are in the chain or if there is just one LSI that does basically everything.

With the test equipment (minimal, scope, DVM) and knowledge/experience (25+ years) I have, that's about a 10 minute job to pinpoint unless there were multiple component failures which usually isn't the case unless the set suffered some catastrophic abuse like a lightning hit or an un/inexperienced end-user trying to do his/her own repairs :)

Good luck.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Yeh no kidding! At only 6 years old it's well worth the effort at self-repair. My 53" Panasonic projector went belly-up at 6 years and turned out to be the convergence outputs and 4 1/10 watt 10 ohm resistors costing me 40 bucks to repair.

Reply to
Meat Plow

OK ..... question for the group

Would anyone even 'consider" buying a new TUBE TV now days?

Or would YOU strictly buy flat panels only if buying new?

Reply to
me

snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Depends on the price. There should be some very good deals available. Get them to throw in a DTV converter box and you have a set that can work for 20 years.

The Sony TV we use has been running over 20 years. I did replace a bad tuner in it about 10 years ago and resoldered a resistor in the vertical circuit.

Again, it depends on the price and what incentives they throw in, the space available for a tv, etc.

Also, LONG long term failure rates for flat panels are unknown.

--
bz    	73 de N5BZ k

infinite set.

bz+ser@ch100-5.chem.lsu.edu   remove ch100-5 to avoid spam trap
Reply to
bz

Any new set will have a digital tuner, so the converter box is irrelevant.

Forced to buy new, I'd still get a CRT if I could find a nice one. For all their faults, they still look great, and it's a time proven technology which is relatively easy to service.

Reply to
James Sweet

so what are you waiting for?! :-) these problems are often great for those starting in tv repair, as they're so specific. The chances of fixing it are pretty good if you can solder and have access to spares. And above all, it keeps a usable unit from the landfill. good luck and ask here for help again if need be.