Instrument case punching reqd (Perth) - suggestions?

(small

them

Have you tried some std size punches such as d/s and jaycar supplied

Reply to
atec77

I need to find an outfit who can punch some slots in ABS instrument cases (small numbers) in Perth, but I'm not having any luck so far. I'm sick of routing them by hand. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Reply to
rebel

(small

them

The slots aren't that convenient a shape :-(

Reply to
rebel

What about a small 1/2 ton press from soneone like conputronics/fiora/machnery warehouse etc in perth?

Buy (or for ABS even make up) a simple small square or round punch/die set. Set up fences around the box in the right places and punch away to nibble out the shape. Maybe a minute per box & a cost of $100-$200. Press can be used for all sorts of stuff ie IDC's etc.

Reply to
K Ludger

(small

them

Then maybe laser or water cutting ?

Reply to
atec77

(small

them

Never seen laser cutting on non-metallic work ...

Water cutting I have seen close up. It's the sort of stuff most people probably wouldn't believe if they hadn't seen it. We've used it on cutting bulk holes in gland plates for comms huts. Bit brutal on small ABS instrument cases though.

Reply to
rebel

(small

routing them

probably

in

We used it a while back for cutting an oval hole in some conduit type tube , several hundred of them and it worked very well ( it doesn't have to run the 50.000 lbs/sqinch) plasma wont work so you may have little choice but to be inventive. , good luck with it anyway

Reply to
atec77

Lasers are used to cut wood into intricate shapes, but it leaves a very thin burnt edge.

aioe.org, Goggle Groups, and Web TV users must request to be white listed, or I will not see your messages.

If you have broadband, your ISP may have a NNTP news server included in your account:

There are two kinds of people on this earth: The crazy, and the insane. The first sign of insanity is denying that you're crazy.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

cases (small

routing them

probably

holes in

though.

if all else fails a simple short run on a vertical mill although I still think you can buy suitable punches

Reply to
atec77

(small

routing them

probably

in

To give you an idea what the required slots are, look at the top of the first pic in

rebel

Okay, if you only have small lots and usually do it be hand, and you are runnng a business, have you considered adding a milling machine to your inventory?

Some hobby magazine advertise compact combination lathe-miling machines. One of these might suit your various slotting requirements in future and thus worth the investment.

Reply to
terryc

(small

them

What sort of budget do you have for tooling?. Your case is plastic so you can fabricate a simple female die from four pieces of steel to make the die hole (two blocks for the long sides and two bits of 3mm sheet to space the long sides apart and bolt it together). Then make a made die punch from some 3mm sheet steel cut at a slight angle so it shears the plastic slot from one end to the other as it goes into the hole.

In use you'd occasionally touch up the edges with an oil stone to retain a sharp 90 degree corner on the cutting surfaces.

A $120 hand press would complete the tooling.

I'd expect the plastic punch die can be be made from mild steel for the lower volumes you'd be making.

Reply to
Mark Harriss