Fan control

I need to switch a couple of thermo fans at a prescribed temperature on an older car ( 1968) two fans with a current draw of around 2.5 amps each , suggestions of a suitable circuit with perhaps some degree of ability to alter the temp point ?

Reply to
atec77

Temp in what - coolant or air?

Either way, I'd be tempted to use a commercial t'stat rather than root around with a temp_sensor/amp/comparator/relay_driver/relay or similar.

Reply to
Mr Whoopie

its a car . with a huge and expensive motor and radiator to which I wish to add electric fans and removed the motor driven unit ( which uses several hp)

Reply to
atec77

These are the devices you are after:

Andy

Reply to
Andy

Many Thanks .

Reply to
atec77

Its a rare Jag and I want to dump the HUGE finger chopper on the water pump.. I will have a read and thanks . have some EB fans so lets see how things go

Reply to
atec77

I have fitted EF thermofans in my NB Fairlane (yes there is at least one such a model for anyone who thinks Ford totally skipped from the NA to NC model) and I successfully used thermo switches from RS components/Altronics/Jaycar fitted to as l shaped aluminium bracket riveted to the top of the radiator surround. See my post son page 5, 6 , 7 onwards here

and
for details. I can also email pic if you want to see what it looks like (it is all hidden under the fan shroud). They work fine but the standard alternator has problems on very hot days keeping up with the climate control these thermos and every other add on that Fairlanes have.

--
Regards
Blue

Remove ZX from email address to reply directly.
Reply to
aussiblu

I just ran some alloy pipe into an adaptor added to the top hose with a knub added and will dril and tap as needed.. Tig is very handee

Reply to
atec77

I have used the copper probe Davies Craig units on other cars but found that, in addition to being much more expensive, they can be problematic in terms of creating leaks where the probe enters the radiator hose. In a 1980 CM Valiant I once had there was a spare plugged heat sensor switch hole in the top of the radiator so I simply use a VDO temp warning light sensor/switch that screwed straight in and wired it via a relay and that worked really well. Many cars have spare temp sensor switch holes in the radiator or thermostat housing and this is a neat factory original look solution. The Fairlane had no spare holes (lots of existing heat sensors/switches already installed).

--
Regards
Blue

Remove ZX from email address to reply directly.
Reply to
aussiblu

Ok the neatest cheapest solution then is drill a hole (or two for the twin fans) in the top radiator tank and tig weld or braze a copper nut onto the hole to take the required VDO temp warning light switch. Use two of different temp settings so one goes on before the other. Just have a browse in Malz, Supercheap or whatever to get two temp warning light switches (low as possible temp setting if you are not brave) and buy he copper nuts to fit. Then wire through two 60 amp automotive relays (Altronics/Jaycar).

--
Regards
Blue

Remove ZX from email address to reply directly.
Reply to
aussiblu

see

for VDO sensors

--
Regards
Blue

Remove ZX from email address to reply directly.
Reply to
aussiblu

I'm sure you'll be fine then, but just for the record, I had a metal probe fitted in where the top hose leaves the radiator and the auto elec just used a bit of goo (silicone or w/screen sealant I think) around it before tightening up the hose clamp. Could be a problem if your hoses are too old and stiff, but that can be a problem by itself. It's never leaked anyhow, and that was ten years ago. The radiator's been out a couple of times.

I used a fan unit from Repco mounted on the front of the radiator which is hidden behind the grille, so the engine bay appearance is unchanged, except for the absence of the engine fan.

Clifford Heath.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Ive cut the hose , inserted some suitable alloy pipe and drop a lump with the tig then drilled and tapped it , added anti corrosive to the water and I have a suspicion it might last a while :) I wont do anything to the radiator as it's worth about $800.00 and I hope it will last forever .

Reply to
atec77

Also see

for some ready made hose adapters.

--
Regards
Blue

Remove ZX from email address to reply directly.
Reply to
aussiblu

$800 not much for a radiator . . .but more than any Jag is worth !!

Reply to
bulfrog

Obviously Mummy and Daddy wont let you play with the others at preschool ..

Reply to
atec77 #