continuous mode,current mode control, boost circuit

Hi All,

I am trying to understand the operation of a ML4824 Boost circuit operating in continuous mode using current mode control.

I wanted to draw the critical voltage and current waveforms at each point through the circuit. Thus am trying to plot the ripple voltage across a boost capacitor with respect to the input full wave rectified

100Hz voltage in steady state conditions.

How could I work out the frequency, phase and magnitude of this ripple with respect to the input voltage to the circuit?

Could someone please point me in the correct direction? Thanks,

Reggie.

Author reggie

Reply to
reggie

I think you're looking for Fairchild AN42045, which is a re-issue of Microlinear's AN-34. Formulas and scoped illustrations are provided on pages 4 and 6.

RL

Reply to
legg

Thanks Leg,

Thanks for your information, I had seen somewhere the waveforms in this application note, but I couldn't remember where I had seen it. I am currently berried under a mass of printed application noted and my favorites folder is about to explode!

What I was after is an idiots guide to the operation of the gain modulator.

I think if I understand this in context of the whole controller I should be able to work out the magnitude and phase of the ripple voltage on the boost cap.

I in effect want to understand how the ripple is produced, not just to assume it's the shape of the waveform in the application note.

I don't understand:

a) the phase relationship between the mains sine wave and the boost ripple voltage b) the amplitude of the ripple due to the boost circuit (however know the ESR of the capacitor has an in pact on this) c) how to derive/understand the equation Igain=(Iac*veao)/Vrms^2

I hope I have explained myself clearly enough and outlined what I am trying to do,

Hope someone can point me in the correct direction,

Regards,

Reggie

Reply to
reggie

oost

r know

s^2

anyone,

any ideas?

I am stuck!

reggie,

Reply to
reggie

The pfc is designed to draw sinusoidal currents from the line. The LF ripple voltage on the LF bulk caps can be assumed to be 120Hz lagging.

HF ripple current is created by both the boost source and any HF switched load. The resulting voltage depends on extent of HF decoupling and degree of synchronization attempted.

I'd have to know where the formula is pulled from before attempting to figure out what the author intended to convey. Igain, by itself, has no inherent meaning or sense.

RL

Reply to
legg

It's 100Hz over hear in the UK. I understand that it is the same frequency as the rectified mains, but I don't understand how this frequency ends up on the boost cap. How does it get from the rectified mains to being ripple superimposed on the DC boost capacitor?

I think it is something to do with the modulation stage of the chip (in my case an ML4824 combo PFC and Forward controller). It takes the boost voltage and in effect injects a current into the gain modulator (pin2 = Iac). I think this is to sample the input current as so it can make the input current in phase with the input voltage.

This may be a silly question, is the phase lag on the ripple current caused by a propagation delay thought the chip?

Understand.

Hear is a link to the datasheet of the controller:

or

Equation on page 8 Igain=(Iac*veao)/Vrms^2 How would you derive this equation?

I understand that the squared element is a linearization trick, but cannot seem to grasp the rest.

Hope I am making sense.

Reggie

Reply to
reggie

No. .A capacitor's voltage changes under the relationship

dv = Ic / C

dv = rate of voltage change (volts / second) Ic = dq/dt = capacitor current (amps) C = capacitance (farads)

A simple sinusoidal current will produce it's integral - a cosine - a similar waveshape delayed 90 degrees.

Complex current waveforms produce complex voltages with identical spot harmonic content and varying harmonic amplitude (1/f) that are delayed individually by their own frequency-related 90 degrees shifts.

Becouse the bulk of the current is at double the line frequency, this double frequency shows up on the LF filter caps.

These are pretty basic concepts covered in most basic electronics texts.

The text actually reads

Igainmod = [ ( Iac*veao ) / Vrms^2 ] x 1V

- Igainmod refers to the output current forced by the modulator into pin #3 of the IC.

- Iac refers to the current forced into IC pin#2.

- Veao refers to the voltage produced on pin16 by the internal voltage error amplifier, in response to the HVDC divider connected to input pin15 as is differs from the internal reference of 2V5.

- Vrms refers to the voltage input at pin 4 - a voltage related to the rectified sinusoidal input for which a related linear current is required for unity power factor. It should probably be labeled 'Vform' or Vin, or something else less potentially confusing.

- 1V is a scaling factor to produce a chip output current in amps.

This is a formula that only applies to this IC in the manner illustrated in this diagram. Why the term 1/Vrms^2, or 1/Vform^2? I have to assume it's a 'linearizing' factor introduced to produce a wider dynamic range in the circuit.

What is not evident or included in this formula is the effect of the resistor in series with pin3 - the Isense pin carrying Igainmod..

Voltage developed by the sensed current is expected to be negative, sucking current that the multiplier produces from pin3 - for a zero voltage internal null.

I assume that the external/internal resistor values are specified in the standard spec or operating diagrams. Notes on page 8 indicate only that if the pin itself is pulled a volt below ground, the output modulation is inhibited (by circuitry not illustrated here), rather than allowing increased multiplier current to compensate the 'large' current sensing voltage - the normal function.

RL

Reply to
legg

Should be dv/dt rather than dv below

Obviously Vrms shows up in the denominator, as the current requirement (and hopefully the current limit should reduce as the line voltage increases, for a constant output power.

I could see this might be raised to an exponent of some kind only if the current being sensed was a peak value with low continuity. That's not the case here.

RL

Reply to
legg

Sorry I'm being a bit slow, and probably not seeing the wood for the trees.

I understand that there will be phase shifts approaching 90 deg (ESR makes it not quite 90 deg) because it's a capacitor and basic AC theory, but the chip is simulating this effect to the line, not the components themselves, otherwise you wouldn't need the chip. The ac circuit theory can be used between input and output because the chip does such a good job of that simulation. What I am trying to find out is how to plot the mains sinewave input voltage against ripple voltage using the chips algorithm.

Why does a full wave rectified waveform, turns into what looks like a good sinewave? This waveform is what is confusing me. I think it is too pure to be power parasitic elements and have a hunch that it's something to do with the control chip. I may be wrong it won't be the first time!

I think this formula is the key.

Igainmod = [ ( Iac*veao ) / Vrms^2 ] x 1V

How in words does this help to achieve unity power factor?

Doesn't the current sense pin do this function by scaling the output of the modulator signal? This chip has a cycle by cycle current limit and thus power limit and in any case this Vrms provides a long term voltage signal as it's slow, because it's heavily filtered.

From what I understand (limited I know) Pin 2 Iac is the instantaneous input current and is bouncing up and down in a full wave rectified kind of way. This signal provides an accurate scaled current, so the chip has a reference to which it can use to draw current in phase with.

Iac is then modulated with the voltage loops error signal (probably to inject output voltage level information and provide some line phase information to the signal at that point), in effect providing a reference for the current error loop.

Isn't the 1/Vrms^2 term to provide feed forward to keep the slow voltage control loop from having to react to changes in line voltage?

I'm not too clear yet and need to find an explanation in words for how this form of active PFC works. I don't think the description in the document from the manufacturer fully explains the equation above.

I need waveforms!!

Any ideas?

Confused Reggie...

Reply to
reggie

I recall being somewhat perplexed at seeing what apparently was a fairly cleen sinusoid myself, a decade or so ago. However the waveform or my perplexity prevented the timely production of useful and reliable hardware.

The old unitrode U-134 by Philip Todd has some theoretical waveforms for you, with competent labeling for LF voltage, current and power.:

As far as PFC methods and formulas go, these are many and varied, making interesting reading, when you've got the time and inclination to do so.

The eferenced app note applies to the 3854, a much more widely used device with similar control inputs and design method.

The only MicroLinear PFC chip I ever directly encountered was the ML4812, which, in it's initial release, had the annoying habit of going inependantly active high on its mosfet driver output, at the time of shutdown UVLO, for a period dependent upon the discharge time of any capacitors that might be hanging on it's reference pin for simple decoupling purposes. I believe they fixed that, eventually, but it came as a surpise at the time, particularly in buck PFC applications.

I think I've used a MicroLinear 8pin PFC/PWM combo controller since, without too much trouble, except there still seemed to be issues with supply consumption in and around the UVLO thresholds.

Make some.

RL

Reply to
legg

Hi again,

You have a very valid point there. I'm getting to the stage of just excepting that's the way it is. I think the sine wave comes from the filter attached to pin 4 Vrms. But what I don't understand is what the waveform looks like on the output of the gain modulator. I need to move on..!

Thank's looks good!

As far as waveforms go, simulation or scope? Although can't scope inside the chip, but I must move on!!!!

Thanks for your help Leg, I really appreciate it,

Reggie.

Reply to
reggie

Simulation of single specific waveforms is not so hard.

Version 4 SHEET 1 880 680 WIRE 128 80 32 80 WIRE 272 80 128 80 WIRE 432 80 272 80 WIRE 32 112 32 80 WIRE 128 112 128 80 WIRE 272 144 272 80 WIRE 32 192 32 176 WIRE 32 192 -144 192 WIRE -144 208 -144 192 WIRE 432 224 432 80 WIRE 272 272 272 208 WIRE -144 304 -144 288 WIRE 128 304 128 176 WIRE 128 304 -144 304 WIRE 32 320 32 192 WIRE 128 320 128 304 WIRE 32 416 32 384 WIRE 128 416 128 384 WIRE 128 416 32 416 WIRE 160 416 128 416 WIRE 272 416 272 352 WIRE 272 416 240 416 WIRE 352 416 272 416 WIRE 432 416 432 304 WIRE 432 416 352 416 WIRE 352 432 352 416 FLAG 352 432 0 SYMBOL current -144 208 R0 WINDOW 3 -81 115 Left 0 WINDOW 123 0 0 Left 0 WINDOW 39 0 0 Left 0 SYMATTR InstName I1 SYMATTR Value SINE(0 1.414 50 0 0 0 200) SYMBOL diode 48 176 R180 WINDOW 0 -23 0 Left 0 WINDOW 3 22 81 Left 0 SYMATTR InstName D1 SYMATTR Value MUR460 SYMBOL diode 144 176 R180 WINDOW 0 21 1 Left 0 WINDOW 3 24 60 Left 0 SYMATTR InstName D2 SYMATTR Value MUR460 SYMBOL diode 48 384 R180 WINDOW 0 -19 62 Left 0 WINDOW 3 24 6 Left 0 SYMATTR InstName D3 SYMATTR Value MUR460 SYMBOL diode 144 384 R180 WINDOW 0 23 61 Left 0 WINDOW 3 24 -13 Left 0 SYMATTR InstName D4 SYMATTR Value MUR460 SYMBOL cap 256 144 R0 SYMATTR InstName C1 SYMATTR Value 2.2E-4 SYMBOL res 256 256 R0 SYMATTR InstName R1 SYMATTR Value .1 SYMBOL res 416 208 R0 SYMATTR InstName R2 SYMATTR Value 400 SYMBOL res 256 400 R90 WINDOW 0 0 56 VBottom 0 WINDOW 3 32 56 VTop 0 SYMATTR InstName R3 SYMATTR Value .1 TEXT -226 506 Left 0 !.tran 0 1 .95

Reply to
legg

Pspice I assume?

It's 15 years ago at university that i did any of that in anger!

I take it this is the circuit for a boost converter?

I know there is a free vertion of Pspice, could this be inported into that, or has it too many nodes?

Please help on draging me into 2008...!

Thanks again,

Reggie.

Reply to
reggie

PSpice v4 courtesy of LT SWCadiii

Simple current generator into a rectified and capacitively filtered resistive load.

You know what the current waveshape is......

Keep each problem as simple as possible.

RL

Reply to
legg