Ceiling fan + light control over a single pair?

I'd like to install a ceiling fan and light combo in a situation where there is currently only a light fitted. Power is supplied to the batten holder and a single pair runs down to the light switch. Wiring is embedded in concrete. Installation of additional wiring is not an option.

Is there such an animal as a ceiling fan + light combo that can be controlled (light independant of fan, a few speed settings for the fan) over a single live pair? Any alternative options?

TIA,

GB

--
 "Most police misconduct occurs when citizens challenge an individual
  officer's authority" (Reiss, 1971 c.in Jermier & Berkes 1979)

You can get remote control ceiling fans with lights. Presumably they only need a single power connection? e.g.

's_new

You can also get remote control light switches from Bunnings, if that will in some way be useful.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

"GB"

** Be hard to find one that doesn't.

Most such fans are operated by a hand held remote - have been for decades.

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I don't quite get what you've done, but if you've grabbed a neutral from another circuit, I hope the active supplying the light and fan is on the same circuit or else you might kill someone someday - ie. want to work on lighting circuit, so turn off lighting circuit breaker, assume lighting circuit is dead until someone turns on light/fan and sends power back through lighting circuit's neutral.

Reply to
Poxy

`> I don't quite get what you've done, but if you've grabbed a neutral from

i have 1 light circuit (with all light cabling in the roof space) i have th epower cabling under the house.

in reality all that i have done is commondeared the 2nd of the pair running to a light socket and reused it as the switched active from the fan control aka a 2nd active, by unbundling it from the nutrals at the light switch and connecting this wire to the fan controller output and then taking what was the light socket nutral and connecting it to the fan. i then reintroduced a nutral to the light and fan by jumpering to a near by (also light) nutral. cheating but still safe

Reply to
mat

You can also get an electronic device which allows two switches on single wire.Requires electronic box in ceiling near fan (Expensive)

Reply to
F Murtz

Such an install woud be illegal anyway - i doupt you will find any sparky who would do any arrangment like that for you. Fans are meant to be on seperate breakers to lights. If they are not it has been a dual use line, very (if any) homes have these and if you did you would know about it from the labelling on your power box

Reply to
MisterE

most fan and fire alarm installs are connected to the light circuits atleast in most places ive seen (in qld that is) , regular off the shelf $90 wooden blade fans only consume .5 amps max anyway and with 3 position switches being simple capacitors /triacs there isnt a great load on the circuit. the low voltage halogen room install will use similar power amounts as a single fan.

the only other way of installing one without re-running your mains is to use x10 electonic switching units. these leave the power always active and trigger the fan motor/light by activating a soft relay.

i much perfer the steel a conductor for the 2nd required active and link to another neutral after the fan and light.

active to switch/fan ctrlr top to light bottom to fan then the returns go to a donor neutral on the same circuit (A)-----/(S)=====(F)@/(L)*-----------(N)

(A)active) (S)switch (F) fan (L) light (N) neutral

Reply to
mat

AKA a switch multiplier. (Clever concept, actually) Got a couple installed in my house by a sparky. Work well, and yes, they are expensive. They're in the Clipsal catalogue, if you're looking.

Reply to
Harold

"Harold" wrote in news:47441b77$0$31985$ snipped-for-privacy@news.optusnet.com.au:

Thanks to all who replied. I'm taking the position that a switch- controlled light fitting and a remote controlled fan will be the appropriate approach. I wasn't aware that the remote control thing is a seperate module that can be applied to most standard fan/light combos, so now I'm spoilt for choice.

GB

-- .sig

Reply to
GB

There is a clause in the wiring rules that allows a fan to be on a lighting circuit as long as it's below a certain wattage. Check your regulations book to be certain, I don't have my copy with me at the moment.

Dorf

Reply to
Dorfus Dippintush