DSE dumbing down - ok, so it's old news, but *really*!!!

making

Doesn't appear to have changed much, if at all, since when I did it about 6 years ago. Okay for putting bread on the table until they cut me down to 3 hours a week then it was off to work....

Ken

Reply to
Ken Taylor

I swore I would never do software whilst I was doing hardware. Now I do software I swear I will never do hardware. Do yourslef a favour Dave, learn C# or Java.

3 month contracts @ $60-70/hour for an entry level professional programmer anyone?
Reply to
The Real Andy

Cool! where can I get one of those?.

Reply to
Mark Harriss

I'm practically a full-time Labwindows/CVI programmer at the moment. Software on its own doesn't really do it for me I'm afraid.

You CAN get good money for electronics design, but as always, you have to be in the right place at the right time. Contract work sucks, too much pressure, been there, done that. More to life than working the hours.

I do electronics because I enjoy it, sad I know, one day I'll come to my senses :->

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

I hope not Dave! I still get to dabble in design and prototyping but play with satellite stuff these days - way cool!

Ken

Reply to
Ken Taylor

Actually, neither ; )

Instead I'd go for cables, audio adapters, and cordless phone batteries.

Eg: 1 x $30 phone extension lead = $20 profit 1 x $300 TV (discounted) = $20 profit

Peter

Reply to
Peter Parker

Buy 1x TV, also buy: Antenna, Surge Protector, Power Board, RF Lead, Universal Remote .. the TV leads to a lot of onsell opportunities, even upsell chances .. customer comes in for discounted $300 TV, ends up buying $500 not-so-discounted TV because sales person upsells em to it on features/benifits .. plus any extra onsold extras such as cables, etc, with high margins :)

Reply to
Lord-Data

"Lord-Data" wrote

Buy 1x TV, also buy: Antenna, Surge Protector, Power Board, RF Lead, Universal Remote .. the TV leads to a lot of onsell opportunities, even upsell chances .. customer comes in for discounted $300 TV, ends up buying $500 not-so-discounted TV because sales person upsells em to it on features/benifits .. plus any extra onsold extras such as cables, etc, with high margins :)

******* At last,recognition of what really happens in a Capitalist system!!! Note the use of the words,"sales person",now that's the way to go!!!!

Brian Goldsmith.

Reply to
Brian Goldsmith

Probably more. The Warehouse(tm) can sell them for $5 and still make a profit.

More like $100 gross profit. Their overheads are high though.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

Most probably.

Yes, selling franchises is HIGHLY profitable. He even has Jim's Antennas, Jim's fencing, Jims dog wash etc. etc. etc ........

It's a LONG time since he mowed lawns :-)

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

the

extra

Yep. And don't forget the extended warranty ; )

I've wondered why some competitors have pursued a 'minimal range' model and don't carry many compact but high-profit accessories.

Cordless phone batteries is one example; DSE must almost have that market to itself; not due to price, but because of its big range).

Reply to
Peter Parker

Speaking of DSE has anyone seen the new TV ads asking "where were those smart kids we used to know?"

It really felt like someone was reading this thread

Reply to
John

Yeah, when they said they were working for them I almost fell of my chair laughing! The "smart kids" left DSE long ago to be replaced by the typical "check out kid" you come to expect at Woolies..

Although I must say it has created a whole new past time for those of us that do know what we're talking about. Some of the explanations they give customers are just so ridiculous that you just can't help but step in and make them look like the morons they are! Christ - if you don't know then just say so (or actually find out) instead of heading off on some wild tangent leading the poor customer on some fantasy journey into electronics "La La Land"....

Remember one "smart kid" one day having an argument with 2 amateur radio operators telling them that you can't build your own Field Strength meter. Funny how hams have been building those for years hey!

Reply to
Martin

Oh that's priceless......... I'm framing this

Reply to
John

My funny one was in Hardly Normal buying an RJ-11 cable for a modem.

The dude said it probably wasn't the right one and when asked why, he said it needed the bigger connectors like a network cable. To which I replied no, this is the one. Annoyed that he was wrong, he said well it still wont work because you need a cross over and that is not a crossover. At which point some guy behind me burst out laughing. I just paid my money and left the d*****ad to suffer.

Baz

Reply to
Bazil

Could be because I work in retail ;)

Reply to
Lord-Data

I thought I would post one in praise of DSE. I went into our local branch, enquiring after a fairly trivial capacitor, or something. , and the counter guy looked at his screen, and said, "You 're in luck. We have just two left." We went to one of those carousels made up of little drawers, and lo, in one of those neatly-labeled drawers, there were two left. A word of caution: it wasn't a real Dick Smith, it was a sort of country-town music store with one end dedicated to DSE stuff.

Reply to
T.T.

The plot thickens. It seems that DSE has thoroughly screwed these people. After years of doing all the work, and giving DSE a respected presence in the town, they now find that DSE has opened a shop DIRECTLY opposite them.

Reply to
T.T.

They should open a branch of "Leading Edge" electronics.

Reply to
Mark Harriss