help with transistor ID.

Hi guys,

need help with iding a transistor out of a surround sound receiver.

the markings on it are as such:

115- 8 XE

it's in a smaller package than say a bc548, rectangular with flat front & back sides.

anyone have any idea?

cheers,

tc

Reply to
timbo

"timbo"

** Please supply receiver's make, age and country of manufacture.

** Please supply the section of the circuit were it is used

- ie tuner, display, PSU, power amp, small signal audio etc.

** Has it got three legs ?

......... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

it's a sony STR-DE535, made in malaysia, no idea how old it is though, can't find a date code on it anywhere. probably late 90's early 2000's or so..

power amp, it appears to be a driver tranny.

yep ;)

and currently all three are shorted.. if i get a chance this arvo, i'll pull out one from another channel & test it to see if it's npn/pnp etc..

cheers,

tc.

Reply to
timbo

"timbo"

** Funny - I had a STR-DE525 here 3 weeks ago.

Blown outputs, special types - had to get them from Speedy.

** Good idea.

........... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

"timbo"

** You sure that number is "115 " and not " 118 " ??

A 2SK118 Nch J-FET fits the bill.

......... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

On Wed, 5 Oct 2005 04:42:23 +0000 (UTC), timbo put finger to keyboard and composed:

FWIW, NTE list a "Low Noise, High Gain Amplifier, Silicon NPN Transistor" cross for a "147115-8", whatever that is:

Does the package look like this one?

What is the pinout? Is it NPN or PNP or FET? Does it form one side of a complementary pair? If so, what is the p/n of the other transistor? What is the part's circuit reference?

-- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

yep, it's definitely "115"

just pulled one out of another channel & ran it over my atlas.

it's a pnp bjt. part number in the unit is Q554 if that's any help.

cheers,

tc.

Reply to
timbo

pnp bipolar transistor, pinout (looking from the label side) is ECB, not part of a complimentary pair, unit is in a sont STR-DE535, part number Q554.

cheers,

tc

Reply to
timbo

"timbo"

** My bet is that it is a 2SA1158.

Similar specs to a BC556.

........... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

On Wed, 5 Oct 2005 06:37:35 +0000 (UTC), timbo put finger to keyboard and composed:

Could it be a DTA115 digital transistor??? Could the "8" and/or the "XE" refer to the value(s) of its integrated resistor(s), if any? Is the transistor involved in muting, or is that done at the input???

Have you tried calling Prime Electronics?

-- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar
2sa1115 pnp switch
Reply to
Ed :-}

it seems to be a driver for the poweramps in the unit - each poweramp has one, so i doubt it's a dta115.

thanks, i might give that a go.

cheers,

tc.

Reply to
timbo

so far that sounds like a winner.

thanks phil,

cheers,

tc.

Reply to
timbo
115

hmm.. oh yes, i see why there must be an "8" in the part no. lol

Reply to
Ed :-}

;)

well on the device it was:

115- 8 XE & on a real close look, the 8 _could_ have been a "B", but i'm pretty sure it was "8".

i reckon phil was closest here - pretty close specs to a bc556 (pretty sure he said 556.. anyway, whatever it was, i'll try it on the weekend..)

with a bit of luck, it'll do the job.

cheers,

tc.

Reply to
timbo

On Thu, 6 Oct 2005 01:08:01 +0000 (UTC), timbo put finger to keyboard and composed:

I'd be uncomfortable with that choice for several reasons. Firstly, all my references (vrt, Google, Towers) show the package style as TO-92. Secondly, if you can fit four characters on the second line, then why does the "1158" need to be split across two lines? IMHO, this suggests that the "-" is a significant component of the part number. Thirdly, IME Japanese transistors often drop the leading "2S" when space is unavailable, but never the leading A,B,C, or D.

-- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

ok, on reading the posts i see the reference to -8 which often has other meanings ie gain the package is smaller than to-92, it is common for the japs to remove all but the last 3 digits of the part no on the package.

Reply to
Ed :-}