Do Compact Flouro Lights always periodically flash after switch off?

Just bought some Fairway cool white 20W Compact Fluoro bulbs from Bunnings and unlike the old ones they replaced they emit a dull flash every minute or so after they are switched off. Is this normal? They 're in the kids bedroom and they didn't notice this phenomenon with the previous compact fluoros. The new ones only cost $14.95 for a pack of 4 made in China (distributed by Nelson Lamps Australia) so I guess it might be a matter of you get what you pay for. I guess I will have to invest in something better so the kids get a decent nights sleep and don't wake up shell shocked.

--
Regards
Blue

Remove ZX from email address to reply directly.
Reply to
aussiblu

It would be interesting if you try the following test: If you take it out of the socket after switching it off, does it still flash, or does it only flash if it is still in the socket?

If it only flashes whilst in the socket then: It could be leakage in the wiring to the switch providing a few microamps which then charges up the caps inside the CFL, and when the voltage reaches a certain point, the lamp tries to start. If it is this, then a high voltage resistor of a few megaohms across the CFL might fix it, but I am not sure how this could be done in a way that meets the wiring rules. Other option would be to find and eliminate the leakage in the switch wiring.

If it flashes even out of the socket then a better CFL might be in order. At the moment I'm in the UK and the Osram 15000 hour ones made in Germany are only about $4 here and they work very well.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Jones

Recently in the UK, Morrisons supermarkets had 18W (=100W) for 99p on buy one get one free, I bought about £15 worth - they're not going to come up at that price again for a while! Incidentally I've used a few already and no problems.

Reply to
ian field

I've got a couple (also from Bunnings) that do the same thing. It only happens on the circuits wired for 2-way switching. The switched conductor runs in a cable with a live conductor. I just put it down to coupling charging the capacitor to a point that the lamp strikes (as mentioned in another post).

Of about 25 I've bought, 2 or 3 of these 20W lamps failed early in their life. One went with a loud bang and took out the breaker. Pressure on the internal fuse caused a short as the insulation heated and squashed.

Otherwise they've been good. More light and they don't get as hot as the older Philips CFL's they replaced.

Regards Paul

Reply to
PMB

They flash out of the sockets and they are not wired for 2 way switches.

--
Regards
Blue

Remove ZX from email address to reply directly.
Reply to
aussiblu

"They flash out of the sockets and they are not wired for 2 way switches."

...well sometimes. I just removed one as a test and it didn't flash until the second I tried put it in the socket and it made contact with the metal fitting.

--
Regards
Blue

Remove ZX from email address to reply directly.
Reply to
aussiblu

and that is what happens each time. Take it out and it flashes the moment you put it back in the socket.

--
Regards
Blue

Remove ZX from email address to reply directly.
Reply to
aussiblu

you dont have any electronic light switches in line, like remote controlled light switches (also used in remote fans) or timer switches? these use a low powered feed through the lamp to complete the circuit, same with some sensor lights and touch lamps.

electronic lamps arnt too greatful about running in these.

other wise, radio interference like from near by radio and tv transmitters could be inducting a charge in the cable run. this does happen in some radio transmitter huts where the amount of rf energy is enough that fluro lamps no longer switch on and off, its on or dim :)

Reply to
Matt2 - Amstereo

Re: you don't have any electronic light switches in line, like remote controlled light switches (also used in remote fans) or timer switches? "

No; none of those and it doesn't matter which light socket in the house I put them in the result is the same.

--
Regards
Blue

Remove ZX from email address to reply directly.
Reply to
aussiblu

I've sent Nelson Lamps Australia an email asking about this phenomena; I'll let you know if they reply.

--
Regards
Blue

Remove ZX from email address to reply directly.
Reply to
aussiblu

sounds like there's a low current on the light socket when the switch is off.

easiest fix could be to solder a high resistor between the contacts of the bulb. Maybe a 3.3M surface-mount type would do it.

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
jasen

I would be interested to see just how much erp is available

Reply to
atec77

The response from the distributor in parts said: "I have checked out your situation and can confirm that this rarely occurs we have found after much research that certain homes that are wired in a way where they are switching the neutral that this may occur with these lamps."