Customs cracking down on eBay, & online store purchases entering Australia, and you can expect major delays.

Customs cracking down on eBay, & online store purchases entering Australia, and you can expect major delays.

I play the game by the rules, and get caught up. I am really getting pissed off now! Who was the polly that dreamt this one up?

3 months won't make any difference. Read on:

===============

A document from the Australian Customs and Border Protection Service from late January details a three month campaign to crack-down on expensive parcels entering Australia marked as gifts or with a declared value under $1000, exempting them from liability for GST or duty payments. The document notes that the campaign aims to ensure that GST and duty exemptions for low-value goods entering Australia are not being "abused or exploited" by importers.

full story:

full document:

I think this witch hunt for 3 months, will be a waste of custom resources.

I have had a package sitting in customs from the 6-feb to the 10-feb. Was in Sydney on the 4th. I hope to get it today, the 11th of Feb.

Here is the on-line doco:

This package is for $7000 worth of goods, and includes all documentation, but it still gets held up in this fiasco.

As a business importer, I make sure all packages fall into 2 groups: ====================================================================

1) Well under $1000, so there are no delays, or import costs. I usually make it $800 to be safe. Daily exchange rates can play a bit part.

2) Well in excess of $1000, so that expensive courier fees cover all my import paperwork and time involved. I pay, and I get a service.

I know many ebay sellers put "gift" on packages that contain just $10 worth of goods. They don't know or care what the limit is world wide. They only wish to sell their goods and not have import problems for the purchaser.

If you purchase something with a value over $1000, and expect to get it in under that value to circumnavigate customs, you are taking a big chance. One I would never attempt. Not worth the hassle.

Cheers Don...

================

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Don McKenzie

hi, ummm how customs know its a ebay purschase or from a online store ???

just another fake email stroy .. how they gonna tell if its a gift etc,,

?

no one

oh , i forgot ,. got my ebay parcel without delays , i`m a part time importer , never got no delays on mine....

customs WILL DO A RANDOM check which will delay packages.

no one

no one wrote

Oh, just a few trivial details like where the item came from etc.

Oh, just a few trivial details like where the item came from etc.

Don McKenzie wrote

Rod Speed

Customs would not have the warehouse space to delay goods for three months.

Rob

Nor would they suddenly have the staff to start deliberately delaying shipments excessively. As long as the shipper has filled out the relevant paperwork properly (and any business doing this regularly will already be well aware of the requirements) you should have no problems.

Had a parcel arrive (delivered and signed for) in 2 1/2 *DAYS* from Italy this week - I can't complain about that.

Andy

well I guess Sweden is so much further away that it takes a little longer :-)

Dispatched in Sweden on the 2nd Feb via TNT, arrived on the 4th Feb in Sydney. Got to me by the 11th Feb, so it was 7 days sitting in Australia.

And this is a regular package, about every 2 months. Been dealing with the man since 1994, so we know how to do the paperwork, and TNT have our payment authorization for GST, customs entry fee, and Security fee payments, so there is no delay there either.

Cheers Don...

======================

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Don McKenzie

Got to me by the 11th Feb, so it was 7

Weird. It was held by Sydney Customs until fees was paid, then held _again_ by Customs in Melbourne? Something completely arse-about there!

Andy

Sydney. Got to me by the 11th Feb, so it was 7

Really wierd. Once any fees are paid and the Sydney Customs clear it, it should be released into the postal service for delivery to the addressee. It should not have gone anywhere near the Customs in Melbourne !

Reply to
bugalugs

ummmmmmmm ive gotten parcels from overseas with just the persons name on it... no details on it wether it came from a store or ebay,,

if my friend buys a ebnay ityem over seas and sends it to me , what then,,,,,??

no one

ummm like where the item came from ?? yeah okay..

just because it came from overseas , or any other package makes it a ebay item ????

no one

ohhhh you think customs are gonna employ thousands of workers to examine parcels... i think not.. that means less money for the fat cats...

Reply to
no one

mmm no wonder there was a delay !!!! WAITING FOR PAYMENT OF TAXES ETC....

no one

no one wrote

Not from ebay or an online store you havent.

then,,,,,??

You get it, stupid.

make it $800 to be safe. Daily exchange

Reply to
Rod Speed

No. Are you illiterate?

Read my response again, you imbecile.

Andy

Which were paid when the shipment was held in Sydney, and then the package was delayed again in Melbourne.

Are you even capable of reading what has been written?

Andy

Thanks Andy,

I wasn't going to respond for two reasons.

1) He top posted. (Phil won't like that.) :-) The art of snipping large messages also appears to be lost forever.

2) He was so wrong that I thought, "Why bother?" He didn't bother to read and digest what I had written, let alone the TNT tracking details:

So I won't. Respond that is. :-)

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Don McKenzie

mmm well we only going by when u SAY it WAS PAID..

no one