Antenna rotator

I am wondering if anyone has managed to convert/use a standard antenna rotator for tracking purposes? I know that very expensive antenna rotators are available for this use but hey there is no fun or challenge in that!

Want to use it to automate tracking the sun - have two solar panels mounted on one, currently using manual control.

If you want to see what I am talking about here is a link to the picture ( bottom one) of what I am using.

----------------------------------------- You have hobbies. I have hobbies. Chances are I have one that you don't. I'll leave it up to you to decide!

JERD

If I was doing it I would mount the panels on a pivot that rotates with the suns axis, then you only have to tilt the panels on a simple pivot. To control the drive motor you have two light sensors separated by a simple vertical shade. If more light falls on one sensor than the other the panel is moved until the light on both sensors is the same.

Astronomers call this type of mount an equatorial mount.

Dorf

Reply to
Dorfus Dippintush

Check out

for a few circuits, I imagine that you should be able to hack the motor connections to suit.

--
Cheers .......... Rheilly P
Reply to