12c?

Introducing myself to microprocessors and looking at Microchip's Pic series. Absolute beginner. Keep seeing references to 12c. What is 12c? Can anyone help .I've googled for an explanation, can't find one. TIA.

Reply to
steve marchant

Hi Steve It's actually I2C (I squared C) which is one way of allowing a microcontroller to communicate with peripheral chips. Have a look at

for a start. Good luck with the PICs. There are other micros around, but most people think that PICs are all there is. :(

Reply to
Bob Parker

Reply to
steve marchant

No worries Steve, Motorola's semiconductor division which is related to microprocessors now has the strange name of "Freescale", and yes they're bigger than Microchip. :) Serious industrial designers for engine management systems etc go for those. As long as you're not writing assembly code for PICs, they're no harder to drive than any other, so I'm told. Good luck with getting into using them.

Reply to
Bob Parker

The PIC's are not microprocessors, they are microcontrollers, there is a difference.

"12c" is probably the "I2C" bus as Bob has pointed out. You don't need to know about that when starting out.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

If you the absolute easiest way to start out then try the PICAXE chips:

They are pre-programmed PIC chips that can be programmed in a BASIC like language or even with flowcharts, so no need for any code.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

Thanks, Dave, very interesting. Studying the leterature now.

Reply to
steve marchant