Two Wifi dongles ?

With the latest question about hostapd,

has anyone tried two Wifi dongles on a RasPi ?

One to connect to Wifi (internet),
the other acting as an access point (bridge).

Re: Two Wifi dongles ?

Making sure they have enough power is probably going to be the main
issue. Do make sure they're on differenet channels by at least 3 channels
if not more - e.g. 1 and 6, or 1 and 13, or 6 and 13 ... I'd also suggest
separating them with USB extender cables if possible just to help avoid
any possible interferance issues.

Gordon

Re: Two Wifi dongles ?
So, are you saying that this can be done ?

I do understand the separation of channels and distance (for
interference) but, has this been done ?

If so, is there any tutorials or sites available ?

Two powered hubs would be a good idea, I'm sure.

Thanks

Re: Two Wifi dongles ?

I've read people talk about using their Pi as a Mifi bridge - one Wi-Fi
dongle talking to their Mifi device, the 2nd providing local service to
them, Pi doing caching, VPN to remote VPS, etc.

I've never done it myself.

There is no reason why it can't be done - it's Linux afterall.

The limitation is the single USB interface on the Pi (and I'm told some
wi-fi dongles need more cpu than others- presumable doing encryption in
software than on the dongle)

Google - you'll get lots of results on running the Pi (or any Linux box
with a usb wi-fi dongle) in client mode, and I think hostapd is the code
to run the access-point side of things.

Depends how compact you want it to be, but certianly at least one
quality powered hub.

Gordon

Re: Two Wifi dongles ?

Getting the right (Google) search terms is an art, thanks for the ideas.

Re: Two Wifi dongles ?

not that I know of, but I cant's see any reason why it would trouble
the operating system or the hardware.

bandwidth is not going to be spectacular as all the traffic is going
through the processors's single USB 2 port. The GUI net configuration
tools may not won't like this either.

not significantly better than one powered hub.

start with a linux firewall/router tutorial and then look here
http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/wi-fi-command-line

--
umop apisdn

Re: Two Wifi dongles ?

I have found more links to get this done.
http://www.daveconroy.com/turn-your-raspberry-pi-into-a-wifi-hotspot-with-edimax-nano-usb-ew-7811un-rtl8188cus-chipset/

and
https://learn.adafruit.com/setting-up-a-raspberry-pi-as-a-wifi-access-point/overview

I have fond some terms that I had not thought of before, "WiFi bridge",
"WiFi range extender"or a "WiFi repeater".

My goal is not to have a high band-width passthru, its to have a field
link from a computer ("internet") to remote data access stations.

The Pi will be the gate keeper.

Also to be able to connect with a tablet or smart-phone (SP) in the
field to check those stations.

I have also seen some very hi-gain antennas used with WiFi adapters
(happy :) ) that will give some distance from the remote field link to
the host computer.

Getting a tablet or smart phone to connect back to the AP back at the
main computer would be a tough job, but having a local AP that can also
talk with the remote stations and then back to the main computer would help.

The Pi AP can be found when out in the field by the tablet or SP.

Thanks for all the info.

hamilton

Re: Two Wifi dongles ?

 You do realise that you're likely to be known as "Two Wifi dongles
Hamilton" from now on, don't you?.

 It's the word 'dongles' which makes it an irresistable part of any
nickname. If, otoh, you'd used the word 'adapter' the risk would have
been non-existant.
--
J B Good

Re: Two Wifi dongles ?
On Sat, 28 Jun 2014 00:30:33 +0100

I nominate "double dongle Hamilton" as a catchier turn of phrase.

Re: Two Wifi dongles ?

You guys :-)

Re: Two Wifi dongles ?

How about "Double Dong L'Hamilton"?  8>)

Sorry Monsuier L'Hamilton. I don't often do this, but,
it just looked like so much fun that I had to join in.

Bill Garber
http://www.sepa-electronics.com

Re: Two Wifi dongles ?
On Sun, 29 Jun 2014 04:16:40 -0400

Re: Two Wifi dongles ?
No, problem, I know where you live.  :-D

Re: Two Wifi dongles ?
On Sat, 28 Jun 2014 16:48:53 +0100,

I foresee a very long and successful career in pr0n...

Whoops, phrasing...