Two Wifi dongles ?

With the latest question about hostapd,

has anyone tried two Wifi dongles on a RasPi ?

One to connect to Wifi (internet), the other acting as an access point (bridge).

Reply to
hamilton

Making sure they have enough power is probably going to be the main issue. Do make sure they're on differenet channels by at least 3 channels if not more - e.g. 1 and 6, or 1 and 13, or 6 and 13 ... I'd also suggest separating them with USB extender cables if possible just to help avoid any possible interferance issues.

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

So, are you saying that this can be done ?

I do understand the separation of channels and distance (for interference) but, has this been done ?

If so, is there any tutorials or sites available ?

Two powered hubs would be a good idea, I'm sure.

Thanks

Reply to
hamilton

I've read people talk about using their Pi as a Mifi bridge - one Wi-Fi dongle talking to their Mifi device, the 2nd providing local service to them, Pi doing caching, VPN to remote VPS, etc.

I've never done it myself.

There is no reason why it can't be done - it's Linux afterall.

The limitation is the single USB interface on the Pi (and I'm told some wi-fi dongles need more cpu than others- presumable doing encryption in software than on the dongle)

Google - you'll get lots of results on running the Pi (or any Linux box with a usb wi-fi dongle) in client mode, and I think hostapd is the code to run the access-point side of things.

Depends how compact you want it to be, but certianly at least one quality powered hub.

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

not that I know of, but I cant's see any reason why it would trouble the operating system or the hardware.

bandwidth is not going to be spectacular as all the traffic is going through the processors's single USB 2 port. The GUI net configuration tools may not won't like this either.

not significantly better than one powered hub.

start with a linux firewall/router tutorial and then look here

umop apisdn
Reply to
Jasen Betts

Getting the right (Google) search terms is an art, thanks for the ideas.

Reply to
hamilton

You do realise that you're likely to be known as "Two Wifi dongles Hamilton" from now on, don't you?.

It's the word 'dongles' which makes it an irresistable part of any nickname. If, otoh, you'd used the word 'adapter' the risk would have been non-existant.

--
J B Good
Reply to

I nominate "double dongle Hamilton" as a catchier turn of phrase.

Reply to
Rob Morley

You guys :-)

Reply to
hamilton

I have found more links to get this done.

and

I have fond some terms that I had not thought of before, "WiFi bridge", "WiFi range extender"or a "WiFi repeater".

My goal is not to have a high band-width passthru, its to have a field link from a computer ("internet") to remote data access stations.

The Pi will be the gate keeper.

Also to be able to connect with a tablet or smart-phone (SP) in the field to check those stations.

I have also seen some very hi-gain antennas used with WiFi adapters (happy :) ) that will give some distance from the remote field link to the host computer.

Getting a tablet or smart phone to connect back to the AP back at the main computer would be a tough job, but having a local AP that can also talk with the remote stations and then back to the main computer would help.

The Pi AP can be found when out in the field by the tablet or SP.

Thanks for all the info.

hamilton

Reply to
hamilton

How about "Double Dong L'Hamilton"? 8>)

Sorry Monsuier L'Hamilton. I don't often do this, but, it just looked like so much fun that I had to join in.

Bill Garber

Bill Garber

Reply to
Rob Morley

No, problem, I know where you live. :-D

Reply to
hamilton

I foresee a very long and successful career in pr0n...

Whoops, phrasing...

isn't looking good, either.
I R A Darth Aggie

So two dongles ;) how's the project going? The pi dongles are rather low ra nge with no external antenna setup, so it's not the best for the project. Y ou should look for some with external antennas and use the lowest loss type you can find though I'm not sure if any work with the pi. Though it's USB

2 the data rates are generally low with the pi, it acts like USB 1 (11MB) d ata rates. Someone here was talking about being happy with 4.7MB/sec becaus e of the WiFi. It's closer to 9MB/sec with the Ethernet as there are send a nd receive wires so it can do both at the same time. I'm guessing what your looking for is lower than that (old coax was about 1MB rate).
Reply to
bcw142