hostapd

Looking for recommendations for a USB WiFi dongle that works with hostapd.

Thanks.

---john.

Reply to
John Haskey

I bought an RT5070 compatible device off eBay as it should work out of the box. It was actually an RT3070 chipset and I had to recompile the driver to make it work. Probably has mainline support now as this was 9 months back.

I also have one of these:

which works fine with hostapd etc.

Andy

Reply to
mm0fmf

pd.

I use an Edimax 7811Un.

A half year ago: The hostap package from rasbian, can't switch the Edimax into ap mode. One has to get the binary for that from somewhere.

See e.g.

Runs fine, have a sd card image, for that, uses ether port via dhcp. Base d on the save powerdown ipe distro from

Juergen Schroeder

At least for now I ended up with a Netis WF 2111 adapter. I had to download and build hostapd with drivers for it but it seems to be working ok.

I'm looking for a USB WiFi dongle that supports an external attenna (I'd like to place the pi + hub + accessories in a metal box with a cable leading to an antenna outside the box).

---john.

Reply to
John Haskey

(I think that's the right cable.)

Reply to
Rob Morley

Might be better to extend the USB rather than the RF. Cable losses at RF could be significant. USB will go up to 5 m in a single non-active length.

Dave.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

That's an excellent point. The Wok antenna / 20Km point to point links group in New Zealand used up to 5 usb repeatered sections to connect their USB WiFi dongles back to a PC, allowing them to site the antenna up to almost 25 metres away without consuming all 20dB or so of the antenna gain that even a low loss co-axial cable would have incurred.

It's one of the few usage cases where it makes good sense to use USB with a WiFi network adapter.

--
J B Good
Reply to

I bought the dongle I linked to for a USB cantenna - much easier to stick it directly to the can than messing around with an RF pigtail that might not work well.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Wifi coax is more lossy (and more hassle) than USB cable, why not just place the dongle ,on a USB cable, outside the case.

--
umop apisdn
Reply to

Thanks for this, I'm now looking for a fairly rugged USB panel mount connector. Hopefully no one will unplug the Wifi dongle while I'm not looking! LOL.

---john.

Reply to
John Haskey

at

non-active

Though I'm a little confused about what is available to match your needs.

Self amalgamating tape around the dongles connector and a cable mounted socket will stop casual removal and protect it from damp etc.

Dave.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Put the plug inside the enclosure, fix the cable to the case with a cone of hot glue?

Reply to
Rob Morley