pi-hole

Shout-outs to the team that developed Pi-Hole.  I just installed and
began using it, and I'm overwhelmed by how awesome it is.

I first heard about it on Hacker News.[1]  I have a Pi 2 hanging
around the house.  I'd used it for awhile as a Kodi box before I got
annoyed with how poorly it worked over the combination of my wifi
network and one of NFS/Samba, so it has been sitting around in a
drawer gathering dust.  I reflashed the device with Raspbian and began
playing around with a leafnode installation, which works and is fun.
But this pi-hole thing seemed like a great experiment.

Holy crap.  I installed it at 5PM tonight and the whole family is
already asking me why the network is suddenly faster.  The dashboard
shows it's already blocked many hundreds of calls to advert and
tracker sites - a full tenth of the DNS requests it's received.

Installing it was a piece of cake - really lovely work.

I'm still figuring it out.  Seems like it has cleverly packaged up an
installation of DNSMasq [2], who does all the heavy lifting in
managing a local DNS server and an auto-updating hosts file containing
over a hundred thousand shit sites.

Both sites have donate buttons on them - I'm going to throw some cash
their way later this week.  This device was a cool little thing even
before, but it's just found an extraordinary new reason to be plugged
into my network.

On the hacker thread [1] there's a huge discussion about how adverts
are a necessary part of keeping sites funded.  I disagree.  I buy
products from the manufacturers I want.  When I want.  If I want.  And
advertisers have royally f*cked up some sites.  Some popular news
sites are damned near unreadable these days.  Suddenly: all the
adverts are gone.  Good riddance.

[1] https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id13%857887
[2] http://www.thekelleys.org.uk/dnsmasq/doc.html

Re: pi-hole
On Mon, 29 May 2017 01:56:47 +0000

That's an understandable attitude, but short-sighted.  Someone has to
pay for content and delivery, you can't expect hobbyists and
philanthropists to sustain the current level of internet consumption.

Re: pi-hole

Have at it, then.  I for one will be happy to see internet sites go
pay-only.  Free information has turned out to mostly be worthless.

Re: pi-hole
On Sun, 28 May 2017 23:50:45 -0400

Have at what, exactly?

A Raspberry Pi group seems an odd place to make such a statement.

Re: pi-hole
Who else are those adverts targeted at then?

The advertisement model of internet finance has simply broken under the
strain of greed and venality. I couldn't use the internet without an ad
blocker.

I spend significant amounts of time removing adverts from recorded TV
material.

I don't buy stuff that is heavily advertised on the basis that it will
cost more than its worth to pay for that advertising.

I don't visit sites that insist on filling my face with adverts, unless
I have absolutely no alternative.

Of course someone has to pay, and its always us, the consumer, who does.
*One way or another*.

What is a pity is that pay per packet was never put in the IP protocol.

ISPs would charge you per packet delivered from a particular site, and
that site would get its revenue.

Hey presto. You are paying only for what you want.

And the site doesn't need to carry mass advertising. Just charge enough
to cover operating costs.

--
?Some people like to travel by train because it combines the slowness of
a car with the cramped public exposure of ?an airplane.?

Re: pi-hole

Then perhaps the level will fall.

As far as I can tell, nobody advocating against ad blockers even
attempts to address the other reason to use them, which is that they are
security software, mitigating the threat of ad-delivered malware.

--
http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/

Re: pi-hole
On Mon, 29 May 2017 12:40:16 +0100

I wasn't advocating against ad blockers, just responding to the
argument that there's no good reason for advertising on the internet.
It is indeed a security concern when reputable publishers embed third
party advertising over which they have no control and which may contain
malware, particularly of the "drive by" no user idiocy required
variety.  A viable defence may include filters to block known evil
sites rather than all advertising.  I use a few browser plugins which
may accelerate web use or break it, depending on the particular
content - I don't think there's any combination of solutions that will
do only the former and never the latter, although some may come close.

Re: pi-hole

Ad-delivered malware doesn?t come from ?known evil sites?, it comes from
ad sites that have been hacked.

--
http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/

Re: pi-hole
On Mon, 29 May 2017 19:44:22 +0100,

Why hack those sites when you can simply *purchase their
services*. They're not checking your ads for embedded malware.

Re: pi-hole

Advertising pollutes the environment of our minds.  I would be very
happy to experience far less of it.  Business models would have to
change; so be it.

When I was a student, I made a film about advertising, and how it
pervades our entire lives.  Clearly the topic has bugged me for
decades.

Dave

Re: pi-hole

There's a 3d animation made by some students which is almost entirely
product logos.
found it: logorama:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9EwIx2GIMU

Bah, and indeed, Humbug

Re: pi-hole

That was fun.  Thanks for the link.

--
 (\_/)
(='.'=)  "Between two evils, I always pick

Well, if ad networks and/or advertisers would stop putting up
intrusive crap, or actual malicious content [1], I'd be more inclined to
let them advertise to me.

But when either the intrusiveness of the ad, the size of the ad, or
the stupid javascript involved causes my browser to spin its wheels
and beg for mercy, I'm likely to hit the X button and kill the window.

And not see your ad, or read your content.

1: https://www.cnet.com/news/new-york-times-bbc-dangerous-ads-ransomware-malvertising/

And that wasn't the first (nor last) time "trusted" websites were
subverted to distribute malware.

Re: pi-hole

sorry, I use 'noscript' and 'cookie blockers' for many of the same
reasons.  It's amazing how fast a lot of sites load without the scripted
ads and unwanted content.

[whenever I need something that "must use" all of "that", I have a
'special' browser set up in a Linux VM that is configured to delete ALL
history including cookies when I exit, and thus there is no tracking
data to harvest - most recently I had to order some parts for a
customer, and "the vendor's order management page" required
stupid-scripting to work, and was pathetically fragile at that, but
"only place to get them" so what else can you do?  So I used the
'special' browser]

well, if the ads weren't a) irritatingly intrusive, b) bandwidth
intensive, c) invading my privacy by d) tracking everything I do online
or e) "personalized" based on OTHERS tracking everything I do online,
then I probably wouldn't be trying to block them.

In other words, the web advertising industry has DONE IT TO THEMSELVES
by being ASSHATS about it.

'pi hole' sounds like an EXCELLENT tool for people to use.  I will
consider toying with it myself...

--
your story is so touching, but it sounds just like a lie
"Straighten up and fly right"

Re: pi-hole

+1001

My 'your domain is blacklisted' email filter is running at 888 lines.
Many ofg te entries are top lebel; domains.

*@*.bid
*@*.info

etc

The ratio of unwanted to wanted mail on an email address thats 25 years
old now has to be around 6:1.

And that's before spamhaus and 'no user at this domain' reject most of
the rest.

Re: pi-hole

You forgot (e): Malware received as an ad because the ad slinger couldn't
be arsed to check 3rd party ads for nasties.

+1

When all ad slingers commit to a code specifying only malware-checked,
non-tracking, silent non-animated ads I *might* consider turning off ad-
blockers and antispyware.

In the meanwhile, I'd be happy to subscribe to sites I find useful in
return for an ad-free, tracker-free service.

--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

[]

https://pi-hole.net

This site canE2%8099%t provide a secure connection

pi-hole.net uses an unsupported protocol.
ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH
Hide details

-- =

Bah, and indeed, Humbug

Re: pi-hole

What are you trying to talk to it with?
https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze.html?d=pi-hole.net&s10%4.24.109.83
doesn?t suggest it?s doing anything particularly weird.

What it seems to be is an ad blocker that uses a DNS proxy on a
Raspberry Pi. Why this would be any better than an ad blocker that runs
in your browser isn?t clear.

--
http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/

Re: pi-hole
On Mon, 29 May 2017 10:26:53 +0100

    One place to block adds on everything. I've been using a DNS
blacklist for the purpose for some time now, this appears to be much the
same but packaged for easy install.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith                          |   Directable Mirror Arrays
C:>WIN                                      | A better way to focus the sun

?Everything that has a distinguishable DNS name? I?d accept, and
centralizing that function is certainly useful; but it doesn?t cover all
adverts.

--
http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/

Site Timeline