pi-hole

You can make your own additions using the click'n'drool web interface.

--
 (\_/)
(='.'=)  "Between two evils, I always pick

I mean it inherently can?t cover all adverts. Anything embedded in a page served by https is beyond what it can see. That would need browser cooperation.

--
http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/
Reply to

So use it in combination with a browser plugin. Like I do. (uBlock Origin)

--
 (\_/)
(='.'=)  "Between two evils, I always pick
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

that depends on if the image is referenced by ip address or a URL if a URL the browser still has to do another DNS lookup for the image (unless the image is hosted on the same server/URL as the original page, which is not how the advertising providers operate)

--
Q:	What's tan and black and looks great on a lawyer?
A:	A doberman.

There is another technique where the advert is inserted into the HTML of the page on the server side - these ones are impossible to block.

C:>WIN                                      | A better way to focus the sun
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Ahem A Rivet's Shot

That's where uBlock and NoScript come into their own.

I haven't seen an online ad in f'in years.

--
 (\_/)
(='.'=)  "Between two evils, I always pick
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

sorry, I use 'noscript' and 'cookie blockers' for many of the same reasons. It's amazing how fast a lot of sites load without the scripted ads and unwanted content.

[whenever I need something that "must use" all of "that", I have a 'special' browser set up in a Linux VM that is configured to delete ALL history including cookies when I exit, and thus there is no tracking data to harvest - most recently I had to order some parts for a customer, and "the vendor's order management page" required stupid-scripting to work, and was pathetically fragile at that, but "only place to get them" so what else can you do? So I used the 'special' browser]

well, if the ads weren't a) irritatingly intrusive, b) bandwidth intensive, c) invading my privacy by d) tracking everything I do online or e) "personalized" based on OTHERS tracking everything I do online, then I probably wouldn't be trying to block them.

In other words, the web advertising industry has DONE IT TO THEMSELVES by being ASSHATS about it.

'pi hole' sounds like an EXCELLENT tool for people to use. I will consider toying with it myself...

--
your story is so touching, but it sounds just like a lie
"Straighten up and fly right"

regular ad-blockers on phones might save you a bit of money on bandwidth overage charges/speed-limits, too.

but pi-hole only works for your LAN... so unless your LAN is being routed through a CDMA-based intarweb connection, I guess this doesn't apply.

Reply to
Big Bad Bob

+1001

My 'your domain is blacklisted' email filter is running at 888 lines. Many ofg te entries are top lebel; domains.

*@*.bid *@*.info

etc

The ratio of unwanted to wanted mail on an email address thats 25 years old now has to be around 6:1.

And that's before spamhaus and 'no user at this domain' reject most of the rest.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You forgot (e): Malware received as an ad because the ad slinger couldn't be arsed to check 3rd party ads for nasties.

+1 When all ad slingers commit to a code specifying only malware-checked, non-tracking, silent non-animated ads I *might* consider turning off ad- blockers and antispyware.

In the meanwhile, I'd be happy to subscribe to sites I find useful in return for an ad-free, tracker-free service.

--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Martin Gregorie

you should. It's excellent. Provides ad and malware blocking for all the hosts on your network, not just one machine. Phones, laptops, consoles, smart TVs, etc.

I'd suggest still using ad and script blockers in your browser, though. It's handy for those sites that abuse javascript, and crap like pop- uips, floating video windows, auto-playing videos, etc.

--
 (\_/)