Package kept back?

A Pi3 is reporting:
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo apt-get upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
  xserver-xorg-input-all
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done

What's the significance of the package "kept back"? Is it something
worth fixing, or better ignored?  Far as I can tell the Xorg-related
input devices (just a keyboard and mouse) work fine.

Thanks for reading and any guidance,

bob prohaska

Re: Package kept back?
On Tue, 10 Jan 2017 18:23:50 +0000, bob prohaska wrote:
[ ... ]

AFAIK an upgrade is held back when it requires installing another package
that you haven't already installed.  man apt-get says:

Packages currently installed with new versions available are retrieved
and upgraded; under no circumstances are currently installed packages
removed, or packages not already installed retrieved and installed. New
versions of currently installed packages that cannot be upgraded without
changing the install status of another package will be left at their
current version.

apt-get upgrade has an option "--with-new-pkgs" to help with some of this.

    Mel.

Re: Package kept back?

Ok, thanks. I'm still undecided whether it's worth upgrading the
input devices. They're only a keyboard and mouse, which seem to
work fine as they are. Is there a way to pull up a description?

bob

Re: Package kept back?

First:
sudo apt-get update

Info:
apt-cache show xserver-xorg-input-all
apt-cache showpkg xserver-xorg-input-all

See dependencies:
apt-cache depends xserver-xorg-input-all
apt-cache rdepends xserver-xorg-input-all

Check any broken dependencies:
sudo apt-get check

Test fix:
sudo apt-get -fsv install

Fix:
sudo apt-get -fy install

Double-double-check:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get -y --with-new-pkgs update
sudo apt-get -y dist-upgrade
sudo apt-get -y --purge autoremove
sudo apt-get clean

Re: Package kept back?

Oops! Upgrade, not update, sorry.
sudo apt-get -y --with-new-pkgs upgrade

Re: Package kept back?

Well I got the same issue(?) myself today and that or dist-upgrade
didn't help. Difference is that it's not reported for either, but it's
still "held back" at the next upgrade without options.

Re: Package kept back?

Just repeated the apt-get update/upgrade/dist-upgrade cycle and the
"held back" message has gone away. Evidently the best cure is patience....

8-)

Thanks for reading,

bob prohaska

Re: Package kept back?

tto:

.

if packages are kept back, usually you solve the situation with a apt-get d
ist-upgrade.

Bye Jack

Site Timeline