No video with Pi4

-=> RobH wrote to Tony van der Hoff > Ubuntu 19.10 server for pi 4 works and is booting up now. It would seem >> that ubuntu mate is not for the pi 4, but maybe pi 3 and below.

Ro> In my case it is because I run Ubuntu on my 2 desktops, of which Ro> 1 of them just runs 2 specific programs which I want to put or Ro> run on the pi4. If they run on ubuntu desktop then they will or Ro> should run on ubuntu server with xubuntu desktop.

Why would the 2 specific programs not run on nearly *ANY* Linux distribution? There's nothing special about Ubuntu in that regard. In other words, if they'll run on Ubuntu they will also run on pretty much anything else, also.

... Backup not found: (A)bort (R)etry (P)anic === MultiMail/Linux v0.52

Reply to
Dan Clough

I recently bought a Raspebery pi4, then a micro hdmi to vga adaptor, then a the new type C power supply. I have just fired the pi4 up, but there is no video. I've tried both hdmi ports on the pi, but still the same. I've also checked all, well 2, connections on the vga cable from the monitor to the pi4.

I am suspecting the micro to vga adaptor, but is there any way I can check. My other pi zeros and pi3 use the mini hdmi to vga.

The monitor comes on and worked fine last week.

Reply to
RobH

The problem was and still is the Ubuntu mate image I used to flash the

64Gb card with. The Pi4 runs ok, but there is no video. If I use the raspian image it works just fine.

I wanted to install ubuntu onto the card so that I could install 2 linux programs onto it, but then found that ubuntu mate was out for raspberry pi. But It doesn't show video.

Anyone else used ubuntu mate on a pi.

Reply to
RobH

Sounds like you need different video drivers.

Josef Stalin
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Ubuntu 19.10 server for pi 4 works and is booting up now. It would seem that ubuntu mate is not for the pi 4, but maybe pi 3 and below.

Reply to
RobH

Out of interest, why would anyone want to irun Ubuntu on a Pi? Raspbian seems to do everything required of it.

Reply to
Tony van der Hoff

In my case it is because I run Ubuntu on my 2 desktops, of which 1 of them just runs 2 specific programs which I want to put or run on the pi4. If they run on ubuntu desktop then they will or should run on ubuntu server with xubuntu desktop.

Reply to
RobH

No. They have different architectures: your desktop has an Intel or AMD processor and the Pi has an ARM processor. Just install Raspbian, it has by far the best support for the Raspberry Pi (and beginners like yourself).

Reply to
A. Dumas

Fair enough, I understand that bit but if the Pi4 has Ubuntu server, why wouldn't a program for ubuntu run ok on it. I thought that it would.

Reply to
RobH

To run Ub on ARM, one needs Ub arm .iso/s.

I agree that Raspbian is a very good choice for such as my RPi 3B w/ 1G ram, but the 4 w/ more ram and resources has more options. I don't know that Ub would be /my/ choice, but that is a personal thing.

The new Lub 19.10 is interesting in how it is progressing/evolving w/ its Qt conversion.

Some of the arm releases are harder to find than non-arm. I found a magnet link to Lub 19.10 arm but not yet a mirror for the .iso itself.

--
Mike Easter
Reply to

It might if you compiled it from source For ARM

--
When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over
the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that

I'have ubuntu 19.10 server running with xubuntu desktop on my pi4, and my plan was to run the 2 said programs, cctv and weather, on my pi4 using the ubuntu OS.

Also the weather program I run on my ubuntu machine, I was also planning on copying the data files from there to my pi4/ubuntu server.

I'm not sure that is possible now??

Reply to
RobH

I assumed that he was getting his 'program' from the Ub-arm repos.

Maybe we should be talking about more specifics.

RobH said earlier:

Which Ub Mate would that be?

Ubuntu MATE for the Raspberry Pi Model B 2, 3 and 3+

There are actually 2 different ones from there, 1 'experimental'.

Other 'regular' Ub pages say their RPi .iso/s also work for 4, but for some reason the Ub Mate pages 'haven't gotten around to' saying that (yet).

--
Mike Easter
Reply to

Yes I found that out when it wouldn't show any video, and I've found out that there is no ubuntu mate for the Pi4.

Reply to
RobH

I see the Ub 19.10 arm servers in the mirrors. Presumably the XFCE DE came from the Ub arm server repos (as opposed to the .iso having come from Xub mirrors).

Then I would further *presume* that the cctv and weather would also HAVE TO come from the Ub arm server repos, as opposed to 'some other' source of a package.

I don't actually know how to look at what is in repos for something I'm not running; maybe someone here will tell me how to do that.

I'm assuming we are talking about this .iso: ubuntu-19.10-live-server-arm64.iso from

... then installed and subsequently rigged w/ the XFCE DE from the repos; and that you are able to find your cctv and weather in those same repos.

--
Mike Easter
Reply to

I can't find the link now, but I found one earlier for ubuntu server

19.10 32 bit, which is what I have flashed to the micro sd card
Reply to
RobH

LXQt needs more than the 'old' LXDE; live Lub 19.10 to the desktop free

-m used is 325, but compare that to a 'regular' Ub (Gnome) where the same number is 643.

But, if I'm wanting to get into lighter weight distros, I prefer to compare those based on Debian than Ub; and then of course for the Pi one needs those which are ARM/ed.

Sparky has an OpenBox (and also a CLI) for arm, I may try out the OB, I've seen it on a non-arm. But, I like Raspbian just fine.

--
Mike Easter
Reply to

32 bit?

Here's what the Ub RPi link I posted earlier has to say about the arch issue:

Ubuntu arm64/AArch64 Multiarch

Click those links from the contents table.

There's more discussion than just that it, the 64, boots 32 by default.

"There is a config.txt entry to make the ARM start in 64-mode (otherwise

32-bit mode is used): "
--
Mike Easter
Reply to

but

You may need to force the Pi4 to use a particular mode on startup so the

VGA adaptor works, as it might not be telling Pi which one to use via EDID. See documentation on hdmi_group and hdmi_mode in config.txt

---druck

Reply to
druck

I downloaded the cctv camera linux version for ubuntu, but the xeoma.app did not seem to open or run. Anyway, after a bit of googling etc, I decided to take out the sdcard from the pi4 and install raspian buster on. I then downloaded the ARMv7 version of the program and now it is in the process of finding my cameras.

The other weather, program, is all set ready to run when I make the decision to disconnect the ubuntu machine which currently runs the 2 programs.

Reply to
RobH