Speed testing software for storage devices

Is there a program for testing speed of storage devices anyhere in the Raspbian apt-get universe? I'd like to test read/write speeds of a microSD card that seems to be getting stuck from time to time.

Obviously, I'd have to use a USB-microSD adapter, but for the magnitude of deadlock I'm looking for that should be plenty fast.

Thanks for reading,

bob prohaska

Reply to
bob prohaska

If it's mounted: sudo hdparm -t --direct /dev/sda2 But "getting stuck" sounds like trouble. Veterinary friends used to say: "a sick bird is a dead bird" and much the same is true for sd cards I'm afraid.

Reply to
A. Dumas

I am afraid I have to add my vote to that.

--
     ?I know that most men, including those at ease with problems of the
greatest complexity, can seldom accept even the simplest and most

     ? Leo Tolstoy
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Quite possibly the microSD card is on its way out. Before spending the $ to replace it I'd like to be more sure than I am now. It's a Samsung Evo Plus 128 GB, only a few months old. However, I did accidentally run it to about 97% capacity, which I gather tends to defeat wear-leveling features.

Hdparm's man page suggests it's a bigger hammer than needed but might work. Something similar to CrystalDiskMark would do the job, but far as can be told it's strictly a Windows program and I have no Windoww hosts available.

Thanks to both of you for reading and replying!

bob prohaska

Reply to
bob prohaska

If the card has S.M.A.R.T. capability, interrogate that.

When an SSD went unexpectedly weird that was what got be a warranty replacement.

Josef Stalin
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Without knowing what might be special about CrystalDiskMark, if you just want to run speed tests, download the source for Bonnie, compile it and run it. Bonnie is hardware-agnostic, so can be run against any read/write media. Look here:

though they suggest you download it from

Bonnie is easy to compile, easy to run, and the speed results it reports are straight-forward.

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org

Only that it seems widely-used.

Something called bonnie++ is available in the apt repository for the Pi, is that in some way related? There's no man page.

It turns out bonnie is already in the FreeBSD ports tree under benchmarks. I'll explore it further, thank you very much!

bob prohaska

Reply to
bob prohaska

Its a later version, but written in C++, has a manpage, and is a LOT slower than bonnie.

This should be the older version, written in ANSI C. Maybe not quite as fancy, but runs quicker and still does the job well.

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org