Pi4 i/o layout

What is the I/O setup on the new Pi4? Is it like the earlier Pi2/Pi3, with a single usb hub supporting all traffic?

I gather it has a usb3 port, but it's unclear what upstream bottlenecks might be present.

Thanks for reading,

bob prohaska

Reply to
bob prohaska

Bottleneck for operating a Pi 4 in general is overheating. It's bad. It's idling towards 70 C in a fairly open Pimoroni case. I let the fan kick in at 65 C which drops it to 55 C in 30 seconds or so. In a minute or two it's back up to 65 C. Throttling would occur at 80 C which is easily reached with any sort of load. A Pi 3+ in the same case with a tiny heatsink (stick-on without thermal paste) idles at 50-55.

Reply to
A. Dumas

Something is wrong there. At 26.3C ambient and 53RH, my Pi 4B in a Pimoroni ninja case is idling at 51C to 57C, and with the Pimoroni fan shim on the idle is reduced to 42C to 44C, and it's never gone over 65C under load.

All depends on airflow, with my 3B+ until I put a small 5V fan (running from 3V3) in the case, the heatsink wasn't effective.

---druck

Reply to
druck

I hope so. Something definitely *is* wrong because the ethernet port was dead on arrival. Requested a replacement earlier today. We'll see, fingers crossed the next one is cooler.

Reply to
A. Dumas

Well, the claim that:

It has a greatly improved GPU feature set with much faster input/output, due to the incorporation of a PCIe link that connects the USB 2 and USB 3 ports, and a natively attached Ethernet controller.

is very encouraging, but the scarcity of numbers makes me wonder if the benefits are useful.

Thanks for posting, I looked for this sort of information and missed it.

bob prohaska ps, please post the outcome of the heat issues when you get the replacement.

Reply to
bob prohaska

On 09/08/2019 02:36, bob prohaska wrote: []

[] Bob,

There are some numbers here:

suggesting the gains /are/ useful.

--
Cheers,
David

Indeed, the performance gains seem outstanding.

The mention of upgrades to the GPU leave me a little puzzled still. Some years ago there was report of efforts to write an open-source GPU driver for VideoCore IV by Eric Anholt, under sponsorship from the Raspberry Pi Foundation. I've not found much mention of recent progress, nor any explicit report of deployment. Is the GPU being utilized fully (or at all) now in open-source? Where will the hardwre GPU upgrades leave the open-source community?

Thanks for posting!

bob prohaska

Reply to
bob prohaska