Solid state amplifier (receiver) is NEVER shut OFF.

I have a small solid state amplifier (receiver) and speakers which I use for my computer sound. It sounds good. Much better than those amplified "computer speakers".

But I have determined that it is never shut off. When I push the ON-OFF switch, the sound stops and the pilot LED goes off.

The switch is NOT on the line cord, but somewhere inside the circuit. (No schematic available). I have determined that it's never shut off completely. When it's turned off, if I put my ears right to the speaker, I can still hear a very slight hum. My kill-a-watt meter shows it's always drawing .05 amps when it's turned off.

I'm sure that small power draw only costs pennies each month for the electric, but its still a waste of power, and I prefer ALL electronics are completely shut off during lightning storms.

What the heck kind of a circuit would be used to turn it off, but still leave it semi-powered? And why????

For now, I put it on a power strip, but that strip is not always shut off, when I am recharging my computer (laptop) battery. I am probably going to put one of those inline line cord switches on it. But then I will have to turn on BOTH the line cord switch and the built in one. (Not that this is a huge problem).

I dont understand why anything would be designed this way. There is no remote control, so it's all senseless.... and poor design. My only guess is that it stays powered so it can retain radio stations in memory. (Stereo Digital Synthesize Tuner with push button presets). But I never use the radio part of it anyhow.

If I could find a schematic, I would try to modify the internal switching. But I have tried to get one, and they do not exist. (This receiver is probably from the 80s).

If it was not for the fact that it has great sound, and a built in equalizer, I'd probably just replace it. Low powered solid state receivers or amps are easy to find and cheap to buy.

Reply to
tubeguy

Disconnect the switch and use it to interrupt the dc supply?

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

A low voltage switch is cheaper than a mains one. A tactile or membrane switch is even cheaper.

You didn't tell us the power factor. If 1, 0.05A would cost about 5c a year if on 24/7/365. If the pf is 0, it'll cost nothing. It's not worth fitting a mains switch. If it had one it would not be worth operating it.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Brand and age would be quite useful. Back in the days when solid-state "hig h-powered (+/-60 watts)" amplifiers were new, a fair number of manufacturer s would maintain a low-level current through their equipment to avoid thump s and bangs during turn-on - that could damage speakers, again back in the day.

Such manufacturers included:

AR Dynaco Scott KLH and others.

That you are getting a 5-6 watt draw is a bit higher than typical, but with in the range. An added benefit is that this process 'kept the capacitors we t' as AR described it, helping their longevity in theory.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
peterwieck33