Repair 1mm pitch nylon cog?

No broken teeth as such , just frayed/feathered tooth tips , in a very low torque drive, reduction drive. And the feathering/bunching eventually causes the gear train to stall. It is attached, co-axial, to a fine pitch worm drive, with no salvaged eqivalent around. I think I can turn the worm plus cog assembly around on the axle and glue a salvaged 1mm pitch cog to the other end.

But just wondered if anyone has tried heating a revolving 1mm pitch brass cog and remelting a nylon cog or any other technique ?

N Cook

"N Cook" wrote in news:fsg5d3$ecv$ snipped-for-privacy@inews.gazeta.pl:

There is a plastic that melts at 62 C (130F). It becomes clear and you can mold it by hand. It sticks to other plastics.

When it cools down and sets, it looks and feels like nylon.

It is called 'Friendly Plastic' or 'Shape Lock'.

I used it to fix a split nylon gear in a printer.

--
bz    	73 de N5BZ k

infinite set.

bz+ser@ch100-5.chem.lsu.edu   remove ch100-5 to avoid spam trap
Reply to
bz

Not exactly a solution to the problem you described, but here is my page on (re)melting a nylon gear as part of a repair to a lift-chair screw drive:

Michael

Reply to
msg

brass

drive:

For a stairlift I think I would have drilled and tapped the steel gear and bolted the plastic one to it

N Cook