TFT monitor repair tips

Hello,

Can anyone point me towards some websites which can be of help when dealing with lcd monitor repair. Schematics, panel reference lists, repair tips, troubleshooting... Any help would be welcome as google wasn't so helpful.

Cheetah

Reply to
CheetahHugger

I don't want to dissapoint you, but component level service for the LCD and Plasma display's are not normaly supported by any of the manufactures. They are mainly serviced at the module level only, as like servicing a PC computer. After warranty, they are usualy considered not feasible to service, unless the fault is something simple.

Full service manuals for many of these types of displays are usualy difficult or impossible to obtain. After the warranty periods for most of this type of technology is finished, spare modules and parts may not be available unless you can find a scapper unit with good parts. The exception is if you can find some generic parts that will work.

When factering in the cost of the circuit boards and the laour, the dropping of the replacement cost, after warranty service is usualy considered not worth the cost. When troubleshooting and servicing this type of technology the tools, and instruntation required is fairly expensive.

If you want to service these types of monitors, try to see if you can negotiate warrenty contract with some of the manufactures. Be prepaired to invest a fair amount of dollars to get going with this.

Jerry G.

Reply to
Jerry G.

There's two fairly common problems with these which I've had good luck repairing. One is the backlight CCFL tubes and inverter, and the other is the power supply. Both of these areas can be fixed using basic troubleshooting with little flat panel specific knowledge.

Reply to
James Sweet

This is what i am looking for, especially tips and tricks engarding those inverters. As well any other tips, i don't wish to service the mainboard but am sure that i can do a little more then just looking for a smashed identical screen and swap the board.

Cheetah

Reply to
CheetahHugger

How do you isolate a CCFL/inverter problem without swapping parts? I have a panel with a backlight that goes out about two seconds after power on. Transistor/diode junctions all look OK, no visible cap problems, tubes have no telltale black bands. Shorted transformer winding, perhaps? How to test for that?

Thanks, TM

Reply to
tonym924

I have a few lamps and inverters that are not in monitors, it's pretty easy to wire one or the other up for testing without tearing things apart too much.

Reply to
James Sweet

I use a scanner lamp driver to test individual lamps in the screen. Yesterday i fixed an inverter that was shutting down, it had a shorted diode and a damn small one. Cap problems are not always visible, i use the atlas esr60 meter and it tells me a lot of caps simply go high esr but don't bulge.

Cheetah

Reply to
CheetahHugger