Panasonic VHS player NV-HV61E plays only EP tapes

Hello all! What can be the problem with a VHS player, Panasonic model NV-HV61E which only gives a decent picture in EP mode? If trying to play a tape wither standard shortplay or longplay, the picture all flickers and rolls. I clean the drum without no improvment. I also clean the capstan roller and audio/control head. Any advice is warmly appreciated.

Best regards Jackson

Reply to
powerampfreak

It probably needs new heads (upper cylinder).

Most Panasonics used a "4 head" design or dual-azmuith which in simple terms means there was a pair for the SP/LP mode and a different pair for the EP mode.

It's quite possible the one set is broken/worn out but the other is fine.

After that thought, you didn't clean them as well as you think you did then after that you aren't going to get far without poking a scope around.

I'm not familar with that model but some machines (and I don't think it relates to Panasonics) used a relay to switch between the heads. It's possible the relay is dirty but I don't think it uses one.

It's VHS, no chance of finding a working one at a garage/yard sale or some suplus place near you?

-bruce snipped-for-privacy@ripco.com

Reply to
Bruce Esquibel

Have you checked for any tape edge damage?

what happens if you make a recording in SP and play it a) on the same machine b) on a known good machine?

-B

Ohh forgot to mention .. I'm in an electronics repair shop for mostly hifi and pa equipment .. Back in the old days I was much into TV and VCR repair, unfortunately I've forgot many of the tricks... I appreciate your advice a lot. An old friend came with the VCR and I'll try to help him.. So - if it works OK to record SP and play it on the same machine, then upper cylinder must be good, right? If a SP recording doesn't play ok on the same machine but on another machine .. what could then be the problem? There are the same heads used for both rec and play, right?

If memory serves me right - I didn't see any edge tape wear or anything. The picture seems "pretty" good during fast search, but in playmode short white lines all over the picture.

Regards Jackson

Reply to
powerampfreak

If it records and then plays back (SP) well on any machine, same or different, then the heads are likely OK and there is some other problem. However, I'm betting that two of the heads are badly clogged or damaged. Seen this often. Two heads are used for SP rec and PB, and another two for LP rec and PB, the reason for more heads for each speed is the difference in microns of the head gap being crucial for better reproduction at different speeds.

In fast wind, slo-mo etc, the other pair are probably used, which is why you get more picture. read up on this here:

HTH

-B

QB_015

Thanks for the replies. If I need to change the upper cylinder of this machine. Is it a simple enough task to do? Does it require any special tools, etc? Or access to the service manual for alignment in any way? I've replaced the upper cylinder in earlier days on some older Panasonics. I remember then the job was quite simple, but it was like 5-6 years ago. Don't know one newer machines.

regards Jackson

Reply to
powerampfreak