Static When Capturing VHS Tapes

Sorry to rant, but I think it is enormously counter productive when a forum "archives" a topic and makes it no longer possible to add comments. I know this is probably Google's decision, and may not be under the control of the moderators.

I've been planning to add additional comments to my "Static When Capturing VHS Tapes" topic. I am extremely annoyed to discover it is no longer possible. I would like to be able to add a comment a decade or 100 years from now.

Anyway, I've encountered a video on YouTube with precisely the kind of audio static that I've been experiencing, Although I did receive several helpful replies when I posted, I'm wondering if this would help anyone elaborate on the probable cause. You need listen to only the first ten or fifteen seconds to get the idea.

It's called SUBURBAN LAWNS - JANITOR, posted by spadge321

Just to clarify, this video has nothing to do with me; I am providing the link to it only as a demonstration of the static.

Reply to
NY2LA

This is not a forum, this is not google, this is Usenet. Google happen to provide a web based crappy interface that wrecks the Usenet experience.

Usenet is accessed via nntp.

Use a proper news client. It's normal to reply to one's own postings to add information while keep your topic threaded.

Grant.

Reply to
Grant

The static is from the hifi audio tracks recorded with the video RF on the rotary heads. It may be as trivial as adjusting the tracking or it may be from guide alignment such that the playback RF has significant drops in level. This can happen from mis-alignment of the deck that recorded the tape or the player and / or simple wearout of the drum and guides. How important is the transfer? Enough to justify aligning the player to the faulty tape? I've done it with consumer formats and SMPTE C broadcast decks - but it'll cost you.

G=B2

Reply to
stratus46

Usenet does not 'archive' topics or threads. Google, a poor way ot access Usenet, with very limited functionality may do so, but it is simply not following the 'rules' which don't have an 'archive' capability. Complain to Google, or better yet, get a real news reader (such as Agent, or Thunderbird) and a real Usenet feed, and you'll be

*much* happier.

There are no moderators here. As to Google, again, what do they know?

You can. Not saying you should, but you can. Messages age off Usenet (to avoid filling server's hard drives, and as well most user programs (such as Agent and Thunderbird) will discard old messages to conserve disk space.

Dear dog, that was horrible... Truely awful!

The 'fold-over' at the top of the video?

Reply to
PeterD

First, look over at the right-hand frame of the page you have accessed at Google Greoups. Note where it says "This is a Usenet group".

Next, find out what "Usenet" is and how it differs from "Google Groups".

*=-a-service-for-*-*-*+Usenet+*-Wikipedia+hide.the.fact+*-*-policed+concerns-=*-*-*-*-about-the-Google-interface+*-*-follow-Usenet-customs-and-*-rules+*-=*-*-not-*-mustered-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*+*-*-*-*-*-*-*-software+less-*-=savvy-*+*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-is-now-legendary+zzz+*-summary+qq+Web

If you don't want to deal with Google's monkeyshines, get yourself a REAL newsreader

and a REAL Usenet provider.

*-_=DOES_-*-*-*-*-*+zz+*-relevant-*+qq+zz+Supernews+free+Forte

If your IT department has Port 119 (NNTP) blocked or they won't allow you to install software on "your" box, this is another archive on Port 80 ("The Web") of some electronics-releated Usenet newsgroups:

It allows posting and doesn't have a timeout on that.

Reply to
JeffM

Finally, I've taken time to more carefully experiment with adjusting the tracking, a common suggestion when I previously posted this topic:

1e40c1e81abead79#

I tried both Tape A and Tape B on both of my new VCR's, and it turns out it is possible to significantly reduce the static in every case -- maybe not completely, but good enough for these particular tapes.

Nevertheless, I am curious about your procedure for adjusting a player specifically for a faulty tape. I am capturing numerous tapes, and expect to run into this problem again, perhaps with something more important. You say it would cost me. Who would do this for me?

Reply to
NY2LA

I don't understand what you mean by "fold-over".

Reply to
NY2LA

I didn't notice it at first as I was listening to your 'static' but look at the top of the image. The first few lines coming and going might actually be from an adjacent RF track from wear out / poor alignment or may be the Drop Out Corrector (DOC) repeating the last available material. If you don't know what that means you should look up how a video tape machine works with the rotating head. I promise that once you understand a format, they all work the same, even the digital and HD machines. The details are different but the concepts of RF, tracks, servos, control tracks and Time Base Correction is common to ALL video tape machines. I've been repairing broadcast machines >30 years.

G=B2

Reply to
stratus46