Nikon Capture.

I wsa just glancing at a webpage, and it said many of the lenses screw in place, which certainly was the case of one I took apart.

I wondered about that too. But "close up" is relative.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

No, Gareth, I stated that my research consisted of asking you a specific question. (See above.) My search for a Web reference did, indeed, come after the posting.

You have not yet retracted your statement that putting another lens -- reversed -- in front of the Webcam's lens -- is the same as reversing the Webcam's lens.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

You see, Gareth? He understand what I was I was asking, and gave a clear answer. Thanks, Michael.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Linux will see the camera as a USB device and let you grab the existing files on there, to force the camera to take pictures in "tethered" mode check out "gphoto2", if it supports your camera, then it could help :-

List files with gphoto2 --camera="Oregon Scientific DShot III" -L

Get all files with gphoto2 --camera="Oregon Scientific DShot III" -P

Get numbered files with gphoto2 --camera="Oregon Scientific DShot III" -p 5-7

Delete all files with gphoto2 --camera="Oregon Scientific DShot III" -D

Delete numbered files with gphoto2 --camera="Oregon Scientific DShot III" -d 1-9

*** Force capture of picture from PC, stored on camera with gphoto2 --camera="Oregon Scientific DShot III" --capture-image ****

Capture filenames can be set with --filename=`date +"%Y%m%d_%H%M%S".jpg`

This works with some cameras, not others, depends on support from the manufacturer to provide such a useful facility, and then on the driver writer!

So a combination of force capture, get file, delete file in sequence would fetch the pics straight over to the PC.

Mike Brown: mjb[-at-]signal11.org.uk  |    http://www.signal11.org.uk

Mike

Linux is for when I get a bit more pissed off with M$ - I found some digital camera capture apps with an ftp search, but I also found a load of other interesting stuff, so it could take a couple of weeks to do the download queue.

Reply to
Ian Field

Linux is for when I get a bit more pissed off with M$ - I found some digital camera capture apps with an ftp search, but I also found a load of other interesting stuff, so it could take a couple of weeks to do the download queue.

Reply to
Ian Field

Linux is for when I get a bit more pissed off with M$ - I found some digital camera capture apps with an ftp search, but I also found a load of other interesting stuff, so it could take a couple of weeks to do the download queue.

Reply to
Ian Field

You have not yet retracted your statement that putting another lens -- reversed -- in front of the Webcam's lens -- is the same as reversing the Webcam's lens.

William, what the f*ck are you playing at?

I NEVER said or implied any of the above, you just made that up.

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

[...]

Look in your Sent folder, and see what you actually wrote. I read it several times, to make I was reading it correctly.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

=_NextPart_000_001C_01CEEA28.84B85F30 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

Look in your Sent folder, and see what you actually wrote. I read it several times, to make I was reading it correctly.

Anyway, this is what I wrote:

By the way, if you have an old 35mm camera to hand, try taking a 50mm lens and reversing it.

You seem to have interpreted this as: putting another lens -- reversed -- in front of the Webcam's lens -- is the same as reversing the Webcam's lens.

That is //exactly// my interpretation -- because that's //exactly// what you wrote!

Take off your mental blinders AND READ IT.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

By the way, if you have an old 35mm camera to hand, try taking a 50mm lens and reversing it.

You seem to have interpreted this as: putting another lens -- reversed -- in front of the Webcam's lens -- is the same as reversing the Webcam's lens.

That is //exactly// my interpretation -- because that's //exactly// what you wrote!

Take off your mental blinders AND READ IT.

I suggest you read it all again then.

I have never suggested that placing a lens in front of a webcam lens is the same as reversing the webcam's lens. That is another thing you have made up.

I have also never mentioned reversing the Webcam's lens, that is all your doing. That is yet another thing you seem to have made up.

I'd give up now if I were you.

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

I have never suggested that placing a lens in front of a webcam lens is the same as reversing the webcam's lens.

Hello? Knock, knock, knock.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

I have never suggested that placing a lens in front of a webcam lens is the same as reversing the webcam's lens.

Hello? Knock, knock, knock.

Err, what part of that has anything to do with reversing a webcam's lens?

You are not making a lot of sense, other than displaying your obvious conclusion jumping.

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

I have never suggested that placing a lens in front of a webcam lens is the same as reversing the webcam's lens.

Hello? Knock, knock, knock.

Err, what part of that has anything to do with reversing a webcam's lens? You are not making a lot of sense, other than displaying your obvious conclusion jumping.

This discussion started with my (incorrect) claim that it would not be easy to reverse the lens on a (presumably inexpensive) Webcam. I was wrong.

Lens reversal was commonly used to get closeups without having to buy a macro lens -- or even a set of plus lenses. The problem, though, is that you don't have a wide range of focus with a reversed lens.

The discussion got out of hand.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

I have never suggested that placing a lens in front of a webcam lens is the same as reversing the webcam's lens.

Hello? Knock, knock, knock.

Err, what part of that has anything to do with reversing a webcam's lens? You are not making a lot of sense, other than displaying your obvious conclusion jumping.

This discussion started with my (incorrect) claim that it would not be easy to reverse the lens on a (presumably inexpensive) Webcam. I was wrong.

Lens reversal was commonly used to get closeups without having to buy a macro lens -- or even a set of plus lenses. The problem, though, is that you don't have a wide range of focus with a reversed lens.

The discussion got out of hand.

OK, shake hands then.

:)

Reply to