Nikon VN-300 viewfinder problem

Hey all,

I just picked up a camcorder at a yard sale two days ago, and the thing works perfectly except for one thing... the viewfinder displays a bright vertical line and what little of the actual video that can be seen looks both rolled and squished, so that it takes up about 1/3 of the normal space and is pretty distorted. As it is, it CAN be used, but it makes getting proper focus a bit difficult and playback is a total wash. I'm basically going on the concept that the fault is inside the viewfinder circuitry itself, and since I have an old beat-to-hell Memorex camcorder with a perfectly functional viewfinder, I was thinking it might be possible to transplant the one to the other. Both feature a single four pin connector head to connect the viewfinder to the camera, and in fact both have the same set of four wires; one white, and three grey. I am a little worried that simply connecting them straight up will kill something, and that sort of moot anyways becauseI slipped up bigtime and accidentally ripped the four wires out of the connector head on the Memorex viewfinder while trying to desolder it, and so I really need to know what the common signal assignment is to these devices before I can procede.

The models are as follows:

Nikon VN-300 8mm camcorder (this is the one to repair)

and

Memorex CRD0050 VHS-C camcorder (this is the "organ donor")

I have absolutely no qualms about removing the existing viewfinder and replacing it half assed (glued in place is fine) with this Memorex viewfinder, I only just need to know that it is workable before I do something potentially damaging to the good camcorder. Also, as stated before, the existing viewfinder is obviously getting video signal, as what IS there is clearly representative of what the camera is being aimed at; it just is highly distorted. Playback to a TV is spotless... very nice video both from the camera directly as well as from recorded video. Also as stated before, the Memorex's viewfinder never gave me a single problem, and it would have made a nice cheap solution to my video needs had it not had serious mechanical issues in the tape mechanism. It's fate shall be as a simple video camera after I strip the unneccesaries out of it, which will shortly follow the transplant project if I can swing it.

So... all info anyone can give me would be VASTLY appreciated!! Even if it's just to point me to repair manuals, then that too would be great!!

Thanks in advance!

Rick

"The usual approach of science of constructing a mathematical model cannot answer the questions of why there should be a universe for the model to describe. Why does the universe go to all the bother of existing?"

- Stephen Hawking

Our Webcam:

NightRunner