Magnovox DTV converter boxes shut off after a few sec.

I have three Magnovox TB100 and TB110 type DTV converter boxes with the same problem: They won't stay on more then a few seconds or minutes. Anyone ever found out what causes this? They are good units when they work and I like them. The ones I have do tune stations and do everything they are supposed to, just keep shutting off within a minute or less. I even got into one a while back and checked all the caps with an ESR meter but found none bad.

Reply to
WKW

"WKW"

** Looks like a common fault, Bob Urz posted the same Q here in January last year:

" Anyone successfully work on these cheap DTV converter boxes? I got a Magnavox TB100. It powers up and displays the TV channel. Then it shuts itself off in about 5 seconds. I did get into the setup menu and the auto shut off is set to off so i assume its not that. Have not been inside of it to check the caps yet. Are these POS even fixable? "

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

"Phil Allison" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

+grou

I found that post myself with a google search before posting my question. Didn't find any replies to it though.

Reply to
WKW

"WKW"

** Shame you did not post that fact.

** Some questions have no answer...

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Priced to retail at $40, those boxes were put on the market in 2008 and are now failing in 2012. Ten dollars per year to watch an ancient TV sounds fair to me.

Reply to
spamtrap1888