Learning Electrical Repair

Schrodinger worked on the atomic structure of matter. If you really want to know how a transistor really works (on a Semiconductor Theory basis), then maybe he has some use.

My point was that some Electronics books may contain information/theorys/mathematics not particularly relevent to circuit design or repairing broken things.

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

No argument. I've just never seen a book that thoroughly covers the basics of electronic servicing in a clear and useful way.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

"The Art of Electronics" covers all that matters from simplest to complex electronic circuits. How to troubleshoot is another matter and probably comes from really understanding how things should work in the first place. One good text is "Troubleshooting Analog Circuits" by Bob Pease, but that's not intended for newcomers to the electronic world (my opinion). Best regards Frank

Reply to
frank

I believe that is book focuses on correcting design problems, not fixing existing equipment. (I have a copy, but have only browsed it.)

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

The third edition has been 'due any doay now' for several years. :(

--
For the last time:  I am not a mad scientist, I'm just a very ticked off
scientist!!!

more or less yes, but gives quite some hints about how to check for problems whether or not caused by design flaws. As I said, I believe that fixing things works best when one knows how to make those things from scratch. Many won't agree with me of course. Regards

Frank

Reply to
frank

On 11/25/2010 4:38 AM William Sommerwerck spake thus:

[other attribution lost due to W.S.'s lax method of quoting]

No, you're starting to play that Usenet game called "Telephone". The O.P. said nothing about transistors; I brought up the subject. Dunno if they're even interested in that.

I have a book right here that does an excellent job of explaining transistors and diodes, both their theories of operation and practical usage in circuits: it's Albert Paul Malvino's /Electronic Principles/ (1979), including knowledge useful for troubleshooting. One of the best-written texts on the subject I've read.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
David Nebenzahl

I agree, that most textbooks don't provide much info that is in any way helpful to understand transistor operation, from a troubleshooting perspective.

Back in the mid-late 80s there was a guy named Vince Diehl(sp?) that developed a piece of test equipment for quickly troubleshooting TV startup problems on the then-popular chopper circuit/flyback-scan-derived-LV chassis designs.

The tester's important feature was to clearly indicate that the fault was in a particular section of the chassis, so wasted time checking the other sections was eliminated. The only circuit connection required was a plug that was installed in place of the HOT.

He was offering anyone a significant reward (maybe $100k in 2 page magazine ads) if they could correctly diagnose a faulty/dead chassis problem faster with any of Sencore's equipment, or any other brand.

Anyway, Vince also had (or access to) some publishing equipment, and had written some very good troubleshooting procedure booklets, one part being about transistor operation.. a couple of basic rules-of-thumb were described as:

A transistor is a switch, sometimes operated slowly, sometimes fast, partially on or fully on. Changing the present state of the switch only required about 0.6V, basically from any source of the correct potential (but he gave much more detailed examples).

His approaches for troubleshooting were described differently than any other source that I've seen.

Homer Davidson was a popular author then, with a background in electronic repair (I believe), and I don't remember one thing I read that he'd written after reading several of his books (often filled with pics of modern test equipment, but basically just parroted stuff common to many electronic books).

Sencore later developed a tester that also had a plug that was inserted in place of the HOT. I once asked a Sencore "application engineer"/salesman if they were concerned about Vince's reward challenge, and if Vince might've been a former equipment engineer at Sencore. His answers seemed intentionally vague to me.

Reply to
Wild_Bill

Jaycar sells many kits in Australia.

Reply to