Punch Down mudular cripmer

I just repaired a laptop modem cable and it wouldn't fit because the two end pins didn't get pushed in, ev'tho I only used the middle two contacts anyway. There have to be tools that are smaller (pen sized) than the plier-type crimpers that let you just push in the contacts. It's funny ever since I put boots on the connectors, the little clipping tab didn't break so I didn't notice that the new modem doesn't like my home-crimped connectors. I couldn't find RJ11 boots and I actually used a medical tubing flange.

- = - Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus, BioStrategist

---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. Everything fully disclaimed.}--- [Homeland Security means private firearms not lazy obstructive guards] [Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Phooey on GUI: Windows for subprime Bimbos]

Reply to
vjp2.at

end

You're lucky it didn't fit; A tab that wasn't properly recessed, would overstrain the springy contact it mates to, and that can ruin a receptacle connector (like, if someone pushes the thing into an Ethernet socket where more/all of the pins matter).

The 'correct' crimp tools for this kind of modular connector are inexpensive and easily available. Just use one. In an emergency, you can hand-compress the little tabs using a flat blade screwdriver as pusher.

Reply to
whit3rd