Laptop battery won't output voltage

Dell Sony Battery pack from 8200 Inspiron type 66Whr System didn't like it, either slot. Won't charge it and flashes LEDs strangely. Happy with other pack either slot.

-->> System OK battery pack button indicates one LED level took it apart, reading battery voltage directly shows 3.6 volts on all pairs - total 14.5 volts (4 pairs) -->> batteries OK Voltage on terminal output leads from board about 2 volts.

-->> electronics problem.

where can I get a pack with bad batteries?? a schematic?? whatever??

thanks

Reply to
see.cher

Maybe, maybe not. It is likely a 'smart battery' and maybe the electronics are shutting down the output.

It's possible the cells are at the end of their life and the electronics can sense this. Doing off-load voltage measurements of cells is fairly meaningless, you need to present them with a reasonable load.

However, you should be able to pick up a battery on eBay, I've picked up laptop batteries up there in the past quite cheaply.

Dave

Reply to
Dave D

Getting a schematic of a laptop battery is harder than getting a nuclear fusion details...they keep it away from electroFans 2 keep sucking our money......Anyhow, Ur problem may(and may not) be solved by creating an external (smaller duty) cell group, connect it in parallel with the old one b4 disconnecting the cells 2 test them independently. This is bcoz some of electronic board inside the battery may shut off premanent and lose code if cut off power.

Good luck

Reply to
Goldenshuttle

That is where this one came from about 18 months ago. the LED test pretty much says it. It must be reading at the output. although... I don't think 2 volts would light up anything. There was a way to reset the smart processor on my Micron batteries, but I don't know if there is a reset line at the terminals of this one.

Reply to
see.cher

I was right. I found a spec sheet on the processor and somehow managed to reset it. Battery just finished fully charging. when I did reset it I got no light when I pushed the button. Thought I totally broke it, but it made sense - it didn't think it was charged. It charged pretty quickly so I don't think it was totally dead.

Reply to
see.cher

Please explain

I have an old Celery craptop here that I bought a new battery for, it worked for about 3 charges before refusing to charge again.....

What exactly did you do?

Reply to
Simon Scott

When these batteries are not under load, they may usually read okay. The proper test is under full load. The most common fault is that the batteries stop performing properly, and must be replaced. The expected lifespan is usually about 2 to 4 years.

--

JANA _____

-->> System OK battery pack button indicates one LED level took it apart, reading battery voltage directly shows 3.6 volts on all pairs - total 14.5 volts (4 pairs) -->> batteries OK Voltage on terminal output leads from board about 2 volts.

-->> electronics problem.

where can I get a pack with bad batteries?? a schematic?? whatever??

thanks

Reply to
JANA

ask yourself if you have an engineer's mind. If so continue to read.

symptoms included a flashing of the charge led that i have never seen before and when testing with the button for the leds one lite.

If it indicates charging but doesn't hold a charge that is probably a battery issue.

If it doesn't indicate charging (fully charged) but won't run the computer, it could be either a battery issue or a controller issue.

If you have another battery that works fine, it is not the charger or computer so continue;

CAREFULLY, take the battery apart. figuring out how is the hard part. The seems are usually not obvious. some good assumptions, a magnifying glass, and careful probing are in order. If you are lucky it is not glued too well and won't break as you peel it back. You will need to be able to put it back together as it fits tightly.

measure the volts ON the batteries. each cell or parallel cells are probably 3.6 volts fully charged. If the volts are close to nothing on any cell it is probably hosed. replace the battery. ALL of mine were close to 3.6 volts so I knew the batteries were probably OK.

Next find the largest IC and try to figure out what the part number is and look on the net for a data sheet. mine was a Mitusbishi (by logo) M37516.

Identify the reset pin and carefully short it to Vss. it is pretty hard to fry it, but if you do you haven't lost anything.

You could also try disconnecting the power from the board and shorting the board input(s) then reconnecting the power. mine had three inputs but I didn't do this.

after the first try i pressed the test button and got no indication. OPPS, i thought i fried it since i had one lite previously, but that was a good sign. Now the board thought the battery was dead.

plugging it in, it appeared to be charging normally based on the charge led. within an hour it was fully charged - which tells me the batteries were indeed charged but the board had to figure that out for itself - top them off. Normally dead batteries will take 2-4 hours or longer to fully charge especially if the computer is running as mine was.

good luck.

Reply to
see.cher