Help Identifying a Plug/socket

I'm hoping someone can help me identify (and thus hopefully find a replacement for) a plug used inside an aged hi fi loudspeaker.

Specifically, it is the plug that attaches the signal cable to the chassis of a Tannoy 15" Monitor Gold "dual concentric" driver (i.e. the tweeter is mounted at the centre of the bass driver).

Wiggling that cable has revealed a fault in either the plug itself or in the cable just back from it. "Dry Joint" comes to mind. But the plug is awkward to disassemble --- it is held together by bending lugs over some kind of fibrous plate that has the actual pins in it

--- and I'm worried I might damage it.

I'd like to replace it with a new plug. But I can't even look for one, because I don't know what this type of plug/socket is called

The socket is round, and roughly the size of a finger nail, with four places-for-pins-to-go arranged in a "slightly tapered square" (i.e. the plug will only go in one way round).

The plug itself looks a bit like a short, fat coax blug but with (obviously) four pins!

I've found a photo of the driver at...

The socket for the plug I'm talking about can be seen on the chassis of the speaker, about 80% of the way down the centre line of the photo.

Can anyone tell me what a plug/socket of this type is called? And where I might be able to get a replacement plug?

Robert.

-- |_) _ |_ _ ._ |- | So what? It's easier for me, so I'll do it! | \(_)|_)(-'| |_ | deadspam.com is a spamtrap. | > > What's wrong with top posting? Use bcs.org.uk instead. | > It makes it hard to see comments in context.

Reply to
Robert Inder

I have a vague recollection of them but can't remember a name.

They're extinct now ! You'll have to replace both the socket and plug. A good thing since it's was lousy choice for the job in the first place.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

They were also used for dry batteries on portable valve radios where the one battery supplied both heaters and HT - so was two in one.

--
*Lottery:  A tax on people who are bad at math.

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

(snip)

McMurdo used to make those. They were used in a number of stereo systems here in Australia in the 70's. No idea if they are still available anywhere, or what they were actually called.

Reply to
rebel

Yes, no name I ever remember.

You may be able to solder wires to a couple of split pins of the right size to make a connection.

Heat shrink could ID and insulate them.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

They're easy enough to repair or re-use.

Carefully bend back the lugs on the cover and remove. The pins are hollow and the wires soldered to the inside. The base is fibre and not easily damaged by the heat of an iron - unlike many modern plugs.

--
*Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it*

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

More likely one or more of the four sockets have increased in diamiter and caused a loose fit. they consist of a rap around contact. If you could get to the other side with long nosed pliers (I have a pair that are curved ) you might be able to give the contact tubes a gentle squeeze. Russ

it!

context.

Reply to
Russell King

Molex pins come to mind for this..

Reply to
PeterD

The UK made a type of mini banana plug which used split pins.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Looks like it might compatible with an Amphenol "Minature Plug", Like the number "71-4S". This is a bakelite shell with pins molded into it. Much cheaper versions existed.

Buzzwords: "Type 71" or "Type 91" plug. Also matching were the "Type 78" sockets.

3/32 inch pins, according to some old catalogs I saved from my youth.

Mark Zenier snipped-for-privacy@eskimo.com Googleproofaddress(account:mzenier provider:eskimo domain:com)

Reply to
Mark Zenier

the

photo.

Obsolete plug/socket no longer available (unless from surplus).

I refer you to this site on replacing the socket onthe Monitor Gold

Ross Herbert

Overkill. I'm sure the shack has speaker connectors that would fit.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

The problem might be how much they extend behind - so as not to foul the cone.

--
*Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.*

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Sure, but ISTR some 'lift spring' types that could work.

Model: 274-632 | Catalog #: 274-632

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

i think i have a plug and even a socket like you need...only one...it is something i have from my dad's tv repair business in the 50's and

60's...common in audio equipment back then

i'd be happy to give it to you...free shipping too

john petillo corvallis oregon

Reply to
jonpi

Thanks to everybody for their comments/suggestions.

I can see it will soon be time to take up my soldering iron...