disable lamp in DLP projector

I'm helping my daughter's school on a science project. Basically we need to remove the lamp on a DLP projector and shine laser light into the optics. However after we removed the lamp and placed the cover back the DLP projector would not start. It seems that there's a protection mechanism that recognizes the fact that the lamp is not there. How do we disable this mechanism?

The projector in question is Infocus LP120.

Many thanks

Hans

Reply to
Hans Christian

I think you have chosen a project that is NOT a good one. The power supply probably has a sense circuit for the bulb. No proper start, no run. You probably have s single chip DLP. If you do, there is a color wheel that filters the color from the bulb. Since the color from the laser is monochromatic, what are you trying to accomplish? There is a reflector behind the bulb to collimate and focus the light into the optics. A narrow beam laser will not come close. So, i think you have chosen a questionable project.

There have been speciality laser projectors in the past. The strategic air commend used to use them in the command bunker. I once watched general hospital on 6 screens at once on the laser projectors (long gone now). They were dye pumped and definitely had a very saturated look to them. The system looked like a cross between a heart lung machine and a movie projector.

Bob

BOB URZ

Dont even think about doing it.. Find another project to do.

Reply to
kip

Probably but - and I'm guessing here:

It probably senses both of the following:

  1. That the lamp starts and current is flowing and regulating properly.
  2. That there is adequate light reaching the optics.

(1) can be faked out by simply moving the lamp out of the projection path but this probably won't be easy since there may be up to 30 kV on the lamp when starting and it still will need to be cooled..

(2), if present, could present more of a challenge. Without service info - gererally not available - no way to figure that out.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Note: These links are hopefully temporary until we can sort out the excessive traffic on Repairfaq.org.

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header above is ignored unless my full name is included in the subject line. Or, you can contact me via the Feedback Form in the FAQs.

Reply to
Sam Goldwasser

info -

I would think the thing to do would be look at the ballast board for the lamp and find a line that goes logic high or low when the lamp starts successfully, however I too question the purpose of this project, the result is likely to be a dim blob of laser light on the screen, if it can even be aligned well enough to put anything at all on the screen. Not very exciting at best.

Reply to
James Sweet

Depending on what the objective really is, could be intertesting.

After all, you basically have control of half a million mirrors.....

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Note: These links are hopefully temporary until we can sort out the excessive traffic on Repairfaq.org.

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header above is ignored unless my full name is included in the subject line. Or, you can contact me via the Feedback Form in the FAQs.

Reply to
Sam Goldwasser

Thanks everyone for your inputs. The idea is to demonstrate a programmable hologram. Some additional lenses may be necessary.

Anyway, I just figure that when people repair a projector they must have a way to trun on the control electronics without the lamp. The answer is out there.

Reply to
Hans Christian

I'm not sure why one would need/want to fire up the projector without the lamp to repair it, the lamp is needed to see what's wrong with the thing and if the lamp isn't firing up that's the first thing to fix.

Reply to
James Sweet

Maybe if something in the logic or power supply needs to be tested. :)

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Note: These links are hopefully temporary until we can sort out the excessive traffic on Repairfaq.org.

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header above is ignored unless my full name is included in the subject line. Or, you can contact me via the Feedback Form in the FAQs.

Reply to
Sam Goldwasser

Even if he did get the optics on, what about light output? A collimated projector light is 200 to 400 watts of full spectrum light. And you want to put a laser in there with a watt or

2 of power? And then have even that small level cut down by the rotating color wheel. How do you propose to get by that issue? And how are you going to spread out the laser enough to cover the area of the image sensor?

Bob

BOB URZ

and

No one claimed to be attempting to replace the HID lamp with a laser, only to be using the DMD/DLP device as a programmable hologram generator or something along those lines.

Here is a paper which I'm guessing describes what he's interested in doing:

As a practical matter, DMD/DLP development boards are available which would make this more straightforward.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Note: These links are hopefully temporary until we can sort out the excessive traffic on Repairfaq.org.

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header above is ignored unless my full name is included in the subject line. Or, you can contact me via the Feedback Form in the FAQs.

Reply to
Sam Goldwasser

must

The

without the

thing and

What's involved in driving the bare chip? I seem to recall they're essentially DRAM chips.

Reply to
James Sweet

Have fun!

Bob