science project

I calculated the thermal resistance between the ends of a Coilcraft

1010VS-141 (146 nH, 14 amp) inductor and got something like 450 K/W, which didn't seem reasonable, so I measured it.

The heat source is a Supertex depletion fet. I'm seeing about 83 K/W, which still feels high but is believable.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Probably a factor of 2*pi or something in your math, I'm always checking my math with electronics. If you were a physics type, then within a factor of ten is close enough. :^)

Hey here's a crazy (too expensive) idea, copper clad with single loops of copper, wrapped by hand over some form...? maybe a coil 'embedded' into the pcb, soldered into place.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

I based the thermal resistance on the specified electrical resistance. The ratio for copper is about 150,000 K/W per ohm.

Maybe there is short-cut thermal coupling between the coils or something.

Anyhow, the low theta will help keep the inner turns cool.

lunatic fringe electronics