Customer is always right ..

** Had an early 1960s guitar amp in this week, a "Maestro Viscount" made by Gibson, aka the GA-16T. All the valves were new, JJ types: 2 x ECC803, 2x 6V6S and a 5Y3.

The accompanying note contained no fault report and asked only for two modest modifications:

  1. Replace and rewire speaker wire with heavier wire.

  1. Rewire to shorten power feed cable from tranny.

The speaker wires were soldered at both ends and just long enough to let the chassis rest on a bench. The AC cable referred to was internal and went from the chassis to a 230V to 115 V step-down fitted in the factory 50 years ago. The two wire cable had been wound neatly like a rope and rested on the bottom of the case next to the step-down.

The 240V lead was modern, 3 core and there was a wire linking the frame of the step-down to the chassis.

I connected the amp to my Variac and gradually powered it up to about

00V - just as I expected it let out an almighty hum, mostly 50Hz, through the speaker. The hum mostly disappeared if the volume pot was turned down.

Of course bad electros were the cause of the trouble, but the situation was not so simple since as someone had been there before me, decades ago and substituted two pigtail electros for ones inside a triple electro that was mounted off the chassis on a clamp.

It soon became clear that the third electro in the triple had now expired - but that should cause only 100Hz hum, not 50Hz.

Then came the *shocker*, one of the pigtail electros was grounded to the AC heater supply instead of the chassis - this imposed 3.15 volts AC at 50Hz on a DC rail ( the screen supply) that should have had only a trace of 100Hz ripple.

Removing the dead triple electro, adding a new pigtail one and rewiring soon put things straight leaving only a minor amount of 100Hz buzz at full volume.

There was one pigtail electro hanging onto the 5Y3 socket, grounded to a lug on the frame. Soon as I shifted the ground point to the common chassis ground, even that hum vanished.

With the amp now working nicely, I modified the speaker and internal AC leads as requested in the customer's note.

Apparently the customer believed the AC lead tied like a rope was causing the hum.

Oh dear..........

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

It was still an honest repair, so everyone wins. I'm sure it took less time to swap the wires than to explain it was something else.

I worked at a shop once and we used random 1/2 watt carbon resitors soldered to a couple feet of wire as an antenna for testing stuff- just jam it into a F connector and you're done. The resistor body was at most a handle, and not even in series with the whip.

sure enough, people were fascinated by these as the benches were visible to customers over the counter, and wanted to buy them. No amount of explanation or laughter would discourage them.

So yes, if they were persistent, we'd make them their own for a couple bucks.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

"Cydrome Leader"

** Sure - I did what the note asked to avoid an argument and since doing it caused no harm, why not ?

The main point of my post was the grossly incompetent previous repair that I found.

Can you figure out how the amp ever worked OK afterwards ?

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Sure. They got tired of the loud hum and turned it off before any damage occured. Then someone competent repaired it.

Reply to
tm

"tm"

** No way.

The previous repair was done ( almost certainly by a TV tech) in about 1980 and the amp was usable afterwards.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Oh, it DIDN'T! But, you already knew that!

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Saw this post just now and it reminds me of an incident that occurred more than 20 years ago. A repair tech friend had grown rather tired of listening to customers telling him what needed to be done with their gadgets. Someone brought in a VCR and asked to have its R/P head replaced. The friend asked about the symptoms and immediately deduced that the culprit was not the R/P head, but refrained from making any comment. When the customer came to collect the VCR later that day, the conversation went like this (as related to me by another friend who happened to be in the shop):

Did you replace the head? Yep. Is it OK now? Nope. Why? Because that's not the problem. Then why did you replace the head? Because you told me to.

Reply to
Pimpom

Ha.

anybody know what those places that sold replacement heads (nisshoku?)are doing these days if any survived?

marketing iphone batteries?

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

anybody know what those places that sold replacement heads (nisshoku?)are doing these days if any survived? marketing iphone batteries?

Many of those companies also supply optics and other assemblies. The market for commercial video heads is still strong. Many studios etc still use tape for the master copy, especially for archiving. 3/4" tape is still very popular.

Dan

Reply to
dansabrservices