Guitar amp input socket replacement

I am trying to locate a 1/4" TRS input socket replacement for a Hohner Panther Tega-10 guitar amp. I have removed the damaged one by melting the 4 solder points where the narrow pins at the end of each leg fix into the circuit board. These are spaced 16mm apart (measuring side to side across the amp) and 13mm apart (measuring from front to back, i.e. in line with the jack). The height of the centre of the jack to the surface of the circuit board is 11mm. Can anyone please suggest where I might find one? MilesG (UK resident)

Reply to
MilesG

Don't you folks have anything like a Radio Shack on the island? That's a common connector.

Don

Reply to
Don Bowey

Try CPC Preston, Maplin Electronics, Rapid Electronics, Google sesrch will find all of them

Ron*(UK)

--
Lune Valley Audio
Public Address Systems

With all due respect to your input Don, at the rate Radio Shack has been going, they may not have a RS there - OR - a well stocked one - at that. A few have closed down locally and those that remain - don't have much in choice. A sign of things to come?

However, I'm darned sure "someone" over there must handle those connectors. I'm sure there has to be an audio shop of some sort.

Reply to
Radiosrfun

There are Radio Shack stores here (Called Tandy) but they mainly sell phones and toys - the closest equivalent is Maplin Electronics who have shops in may major towns.

Most Wholesalers now sell directly to the public, tho they do generally have a minimum order rate. If the OP gets really stuck he can mail me off list and I`ll post one to him.

Ron(UK)

--
Lune Valley Audio
Public Address Systems

As you've no doubt guessed, I'm a novice. Many thanks for the helpful advice you guys. I'd already tried googling but could only find the sort that fits inside guitars rather than sits on PCBs. Now CPC Preston and Maplins come up with this

Maplins used to do a "PCB mounting pin" version, no photo and now discontinued, which I suspect is what I need, as the old one that I removed has the 5mm wide feet stepping down about halfway along their length to a

1mm pin, which fits into the holes in the PCB, the "shoulder" sitting flat on the PCB.

I'll get the sort that's illustrated and see what can be done.

Miles

Reply to
MilesG

Tandy stores in the UK closed in 1999.

Maplin is heading into selling "phones and toys" now, and is staffed by kids more familiar with toys than electronic components :-(

-- Adrian C

Reply to
Adrian C

Though I didn't come right out and state it, you nailed it down - they sell mostly toys and phones! Here is also some computer stuff as well. Like I said, not much choice! I think they're on their way out - to be honest.

"I" don't know what companies are available to the U.K. as to shipping parts out or if the guy is up to paying any extensive fees for shipping - so that is why "I" didn't specify any.

Being you're in the U.K. - Ron, you may be his best bet for acquiring the part needed. Maybe opportunity knocks for you!

Reply to
Radiosrfun

Hell yeah, I could be in line to make a couple of quid here ;)

Seriously, most of the previously trade only suppliers will now supply anyone with a credit card, Probably Farnell is the biggest and best for 'serious' electronic components

Rapid Electronics are pretty good also

Ron(UK)

--
Lune Valley Audio
Public Address Systems

There is a pcb mounting version available also, search a bit harder.

Ron(UK)

--
Lune Valley Audio
Public Address Systems

Thanks for all the further information everyone. I found this too

but those pins don't look long enough to me. It looks like it's designed to sit right on the PCB? What is the difference between the switched and non-switched models please?

Miles

Reply to
MilesG

Sorry, this is a better link for that last Q.

MilesG

I always buy switched jack as they provide an extra pair of pins, which give more stability when pcb mounted.

Take a look at this page, maybe the socket you require is on here.

Ron(UK)

--
Lune Valley Audio
Public Address Systems

In the UK I would buy the latest Everyday Practical Electronics mag - there are ads in there from people who will ship.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Take out the socket, and go to a local electronics parts distributor to see if you can properly identify the part. If you can not find a proper replacement, you will have to contact the manufacture directly, or one of their service reps to order the original part.

--

JANA _____

Reply to
JANA

I've emailed the Hohner rep as JANA suggested, and meanwhile ordered one of each 2-pole and 3-pole from rapidonline because I don't know which I should use. Can someone please advise? If the narrow mounting pins turn out to be shorter than the old component, so that it sits lower than before, I can surely file away about 2-3 mm of the cutout to accomodate it. If Hohner don't come up with a component identical to the old one, that is.

Thanks again to you all Miles

Reply to
MilesG

Despite living in London UK I would have no idea how to find such a company. Nor would I expect one to be interested in a tiny order such as this.

--
*Proofread carefully to see if you any words out or mispeld something *

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

2 pole is correct, tho you can use a 3pole just as easily, bend the centre pair of tags underneath or snip them off.

If it`s too low, rather than file the front panel, mount it on short lengths of thick copper wire, or if there`s room, invert it and connect it up with lengths of flexible wire - making sure to connect the correct pins - they are on the opposite side when the socket is inverted[1]

[1] does that make sense?

Ron(UK)

--
Lune Valley Audio
Public Address Systems

Most of the major suppliers have a minimum order value, generally about £30 - some will send out orders for lesser amounts but whack you for the postage. You can soon spend thirty quid when perusing most of their catalogues anyway.

Ron(UK)

--
Lune Valley Audio
Public Address Systems

Indeed - although some like RS don't send out their cats willy nilly. And has what must be one of the worst websites anywhere.

I'm using Rapid more and more - no minimum order requirements.

--
*Middle age is when it takes longer to rest than to get tired.