Busted Compaq EVO N610C DC power connector.

Hi.  I received (for free) a EVO N610C laptop with a totally hacked up
power connector.  My guess is that it came loose and some guy thought
he'd get out a soldering iron and fix it.  Well, that didn't work and
basically it appears all this person did we make the power connector
hole bigger by melting all the way around it.

Right now it doesn't work at all and I am guessing it may have
something to do with grounding or excess solder shorting something
out.  I've sucked out the solder but still no workie.

I have no problems opening the laptop and trying to fix this (if
necessary) and am pretty handy with electronics.  My guess is that
there is a grounding issue somewhere inside the connector housing.  I
don't have a tech manual for this laptop so it's hard to tell what the
thing is supposed to look like.

I am posting to alt.binaries.test a close-up of the damage with the
topic "EVO N610C PIC"

All help much appreciated.

Re: Busted Compaq EVO N610C DC power connector.

Looks like a standard barrel connector, shouldn't be much of a problem
finding a substitute if you're handy with a screwdriver and soldering iron.

Re: Busted Compaq EVO N610C DC power connector.
The problem is it's the whole housing that appears to have been
damaged and it's not a modular component as far as I can tell.  I'm
pretty sure there is an outer ground of some sort that isn't making
contact when the connector goes in.

Thanks.

Re: Busted Compaq EVO N610C DC power connector.

It's a component for certain.

Re: Busted Compaq EVO N610C DC power connector.
Ok well I hope so..I got the service manual and it doesn't appear to
look like that (in the sense that it cannot be removed without being
desoldered off the main PCB where it lives.....not a big deal- just
hope it's not some micro pcb-type soldering- I suck at that.

Thanks much.

Re: Busted Compaq EVO N610C DC power connector.

It shouldn't be a micro blah blah blah thingy and yes of course it
will be soldered. There is a considerable amount of wattage (90) carried
via that connector so the traces and lands should reflect that in size.
You may however encounter some double sided connections so be careful in
the respect.

Re: Busted Compaq EVO N610C DC power connector.
Ok good to know.   I'll order the new connector tomorrow

Thanks

Re: Busted Compaq EVO N610C DC power connector.

Tech manual is downloadable for free from the support side of HP's website.

The replacement exact DC socket can be found on eBay for cheaper than
www.BuyAnOverpricedSocketFromMe.con websites.

--
Adrian C

Site Timeline