Antenna rotator question

Yep. I fired up my Samsung P2570HD TV and got an unpleasant surprise: When I scanned for active channels, it didn't find any channels. I tried it several times, on several antennas, and got the same results. No channels. Since the HDMI, composite, VGA, and DVI inputs all work normally, my guess(tm) is the tuner is blown.

Looking at the available scan settings, it gets even stranger. I can add a channel manually, but there doesn't seem to be any way to remove a channel. Of course, since I can't test it, I'm sure about this. Offhand, I would say you're correct, that Samsung doesn't make it easy to use a rotator or multiple antennas.

Is the virtual channel number correct? Does it even have a virtual channel number?

The US congress critters tweaked the beginning and end of DST in order to somehow save energy in 2007. Many devices didn't clean up their DST act for many years after that.

If it does IPTV, it must surely do NTP (network time protocol) which includes proper DST shifts. I don't think there's a single device available that does EPG (electronic program guide) without bugs, added monthly costs, or both. However, don't blame the guide vendor. Stations often change their programming at the last moment for odd reasons (sponsor pressure, current events, ongoing disaster coverage, etc).

It didn't "fall out of favor". It was massacred by the cable companies, who preferred to rake in the cash from equipment leases than to allow the GUM (great unwashed masses) to own their own equipment. Never mind that the FCC ordered the availability of user owned cable equipment. Comcast also made it look like a frontal attack on Tivo, who is the major beneficiary in CableCard based installations. Incidentally, Comast raised the price of them allowing a CableCard from about $2/month to $10 or $15/month (I couldn't find the exact price) so as to be equal with the cost of leasing a set top box. So much for affordable.

RF Modulator? That's rather low quality video if fed from composite video. What most users want is the ability to record HD programming without DRM issues. A CableCard in a tuner can do that if digitized video can be delivered via ethernet (thus avoiding the encrypted HDMI problem). No, I won't tell you how to do it.

Why bother? Most OTA radio stations also stream over the internet. Just point your web browsers to the stations URL and you have streaming AM/FM audio on the laptop. However, if you do find a station that does NOT stream, just plug an RTL2832U plus R820T2 SDR receiver dongle into a USB port, run one of a dozen receiver control programs, and you have an AM/FM/ham/WX/scanner/whatever receiver.

Sigh. Topic drift at it's best.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

to use a rotator or multiple antennas.

Oops, for your Samsung.

channel number?

Virtual is fine. In the details (MENU) In the DTV signal strength have:

freq: off air 57.00 MHz Power level and s/n with weak Normal type things. ss in dbm and s/n in db

In Manual scan, I'm asked to enter the "Channel Number" which is the physic al one.

DST: It had already changed this year at 10 PM, not 2 AM.

EPG: My Bad, the remote labels it as such. It would be what's gonna happen on the current channel. That's totally part of the ATSC signal. It messe s up a few hours before midnight. It's like 11:37 pm and it has programs t hat start at 12:30. After midnight it gets lots more. Another $50 governm ent box works.

It's not the Master EPG programming schedule for all channels.

cable card- Yep.

RF Modulator? Sort of. One of these:

4 channels of 4K HD video on 4 RF channels and 4 IP TV channels. Right now my wired Ethernet is too slow and wireless is even slower. I have not tri ed to see the RF output but I did measure a decent BER and signal strength on a test instrument w/o video)

Streaming: two-foldRF Modulator?

Be able to watch ATSC TV on the laptop (Slingbox like

AM/FM or anything L/R to HDMI ATSC Audio only in AC3 or Dolby Digital.

The smart TV does have a web browser, but you can't tell the TV to just do audio. You end up with a web browser screen with audio. For video the Sam sung won't do Flash. ATSC TV's with converter boxes are everywhere in the house. My elderly Mom likes AM radio and can't yet operate the TV that detailed. She can't at this point watch youtube on the TV to watch the Sunday Mass.

Like I said, the TV is really dumb. A wireless USB keyboard won't work on youtube. Well,the arrows work, but the characters don't. They blame the a pp maker - i.e. Google for this. Nearly useless or DUMB!

Reply to
Ron D.

Jeff Liebermann wrote: " The US congress critters tweaked the beginning and end of DST in order to somehow save energy in 2007. Many devices didn't clean up their DST act for many years after that. "

Most of Congress probably believes Daylight Saving adds daylight! Remmber: they don't read what they pass.

DST actually increases overall energy consumption, but lazy people like it because it delays sunrise and they can stay up later and sleep in.

Reply to
thekmanrocks

Theckmaaaaah the village idiot starts flogging a dead hobbyhorse again! (not even in season ...)

The brain damage is obvious. Understanding daylight saving time involves understanding simple numbers, but when it comes to simple numbers, Theckkkahhhmaaammmaaaah is a simpleton retard.

Reply to
None

Maybe, but most voters also don't read the various initiatives and referendums on which they vote. Worse, few voters could recite the names of their local government representatives, as well as whom and what they represent and advocate. It's the blind leading the blind.

So, why does representative government still work? Because elected representatives have staff to read through the various measures and deal with the constituency. Afterwards, they provide a very simplified summary for the representative to read and digest.

There have been various research projects, few of which seem to be objective and unbiased. One of the more comical that I read was a survey of families paid to change their clocks according to the old DST system, and then comparing energy consumption only in the approximately two months that were involved in the change. If I find a link, I'll post it. The results were almost random, but that was apparently fixed by carefully cherry picking the data from those who most closely followed the test guidelines. Some tests and surveys: I think this might be it: "The United States Department of Energy (DOE) concluded in a 2008 report that the 2007 United States extension of DST saved 0.5% of electricity usage during the extended period. [90] This report analyzed only the extension, not the full eight months of DST, and did not examine the use of heating fuels."

Perhaps we can escape the horrors of DST by getting away from the rigid 8 hr work day, and replacing it with a 6 hr winter work day, and a 12 hr summer work day, when there are more hours of sunlight.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Jeff Liebermann wrote: " "The United States Department of Energy (DOE) concluded in a 2008 report that the 2007 United States extension of DST saved 0.5""

The DOE can publish any conclusions that the utilties find favor with.

"Perhaps we can escape the horrors of DST by getting away from the rigid 8 hr work day, and replacing it with a 6 hr winter work day, and a 12 hr summer work day, when there are more hours of sunlight. "

Perhaps we can escape the horrors of DST by shifting business hours earlier in the day. '9 to 5' makes a nice song on the radio, but it wastes a lot of early morning daylight. I personally would quickly embrace an 8-4 first shift, so the workday is rarely ever impinged upon by darkness.

Getting folks to go to bed before midnight is another challenge, however.

Reply to
thekmanrocks

Phase issues are easy to deal with. Co-locate the antennas so the signals are in phase and use the same length of cable between each antenna and the combiner. Now all frequencies are always in phase. A short run to the mast mounted amp and you are done.

--

Rick C
Reply to

I don't like the new DST schedule because it gets dark when it's time to do yard work during the weekday.

Reply to
Ron D.

Ron D wrote: "

8:04 PMRon D. I don't like the new DST schedule because it gets dark when it's time to do yard work during the weekday. " ?

DST in United States runs from second Sunday in March to first Sunday in November. Clocks are +1 hour during that entire period. 'Noon' is at 1pm (by the clock) during that period.

Reply to
thekmanrocks

At this time, sunset on the left coast is at about 8PM. You do yard work at that 8PM? If you must mow in the dark, just add headlights to your lawn mower.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Remember, the moon is much more useful than the sun.

The moon gives light in the night, when it's actually needed.

Reply to
Tim R

It is this sort of reasoning that explains the American Political System.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
pfjw

it's the fall change back that bothers me, not the summer one, but now it doesn't matter because 5:30 PM doesn't mean what it used to. "Home from work and it's dark".

Reply to
Ron D.

Ron D:

So you don't like Standard time, when 12pm corresponds with noon. Ok, well see about getting up earlier, and if your job offers an earlier shift, like 8-4 or something. I am the only person in America I know who wouldn't mind 4:30 sunrises where I live, in June! I would actually be up at that time, doing errands around the house. I'm normally in bed by 8 anyway, which it actually is right now - even though the clocks all say 9pm. ;)

Reply to
thekmanrocks

The original EPG was a service provided by United Video Cablevision's microwave division. Their computers were in Tulsa OK, and they were linked to their WGN uplink in Chicago by a pair of leased phone lines. One pair fed the data North to Chicago, while the second echoed it back to their PDP -11 computers in Tulsa OK. It was transmitted on a subcarrier along with WGN to CATV headends across the country. The demod and processor was a 6502 based rack mounted computer that put out NTSC color video. I got into a very heated argument with the head of our Microwave division, as I told him how to uplink the signal from the computer site, but leave it on the WGN transponder. He told me it was impossible, so I told him that if he couldn't do it, he should quit his job. Two months later, they announced the change, and that HIS idea was saving the company over $15K per month for the leased lines.

--
Never piss off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.

They don't get even.