newbie: cross-debugging!?

Hello all, I am totally new to embedded programming and willling to start it with linux.I heard about cross-compiling..but is there anything like cross-debugging.I mean debugging a cross-compiled program without the target hardware.eagerly waiting for responses. Regards RJ

Reply to
newbie

Yes, simulators exists for some architectures (ARM?). It is like running x86 code on a ppc, or java byte code. But you have to simulate the environment too (ports, memorymapped IO, ...)

On the advanced end: Simics can simulate a complete new architecture and systems (used for AMD64 before hardware existed).

/RogerL

--
Roger Larsson
SkellefteƄ