embedded programming

Hello group,

What takes to change a career from high-level software programming to embedded programming in Linux?

It is a while I have started learning Linux and digital design. However, still not sure if I'm on a right track. My goal is to getting to a level of programming in Linux to work in embedded field. Would you please advise me on this?

Thanks, Amit

Reply to
Amit

Well decide first what field ... you have three options:

  1. Embedded application programming. (C/C++ .. requires very little or no knowledge of hardware. But still very close to the operating system. Similar to WIN32 API programming)
  2. Embedded device driver programming. (mostly C ... requires lot of hardware and digital knowledge. Though you are closer to the hardware and you are far away from high level system design.)
  3. Linux kernel programming.
Reply to
ksashtekar

Thanks. any books or online resources?

Regards, Amit

Reply to
Amit

What is your professional background? What platform/language are you working on currently?

- Kaustubh

Reply to
ksashtekar