Building a cheap Linux-capable circuit.

I'm looking at building a low-cost embedded unit.

We have experience of using the Cirrus ARM9 SOC.

I want to build a replacement at lowest BOM cost.

It needs to be capable of running proper, not uC Linux.

I suppose I want to use a single RAM chip ( if I can fit footprint ) and a single Flash - probably a NAND.

Lots of UARTs would be good.

In-built AtoD would be good too.

Any suggestions?

And if I did go mad, and decide to put up with uC Linux... Is there a genuine single-chip ARM or other device which can give me a reasonable development environment? Does there exist a Linux for the Atmel single-chipper with 2M Flash and 256K RAM? AT91FR40162S

David Collier

email can be sent to Dexdyne.com , under name from_usenet@

Reply to
David Collier

Why do you need Linux. If the BOM is a lot more important than development cost, Linux only is viable for quite complex devices. For many devices there are alternatives with a lot smaller footprint (e.g. take a look at

-Michael

Reply to
Michael Schnell

They have a single chip device, including processor, ethernet, memory etcetera. Add a power supply, connector with transformer for ethernet, rs232 chip and you've got a complete system running the 2.6 kernel. There are also a couple of dev boards available.

Dan

Reply to
Dan N

I don' think that's the sort of cheap I mean :-)

I can buy the Samsung 2410 CPU for $10ish, and a single NAND flash and RAM, and have a working chipset for around $24. I'm building a PCB anyway.

My question is, really, are there any ARM-9 CPUs I've not looked at which list much cheaper?

David Collier

email can be sent to Dexdyne.com , under name from_usenet@

Reply to
David Collier

I don't need Linux... but our current product is built on it. If I go for something like an AT91SAM256 device, we are into a much longer development cycle. ( and probably an RTOS sign-up )

David Collier

email can be sent to Dexdyne.com , under name from_usenet@

Reply to
David Collier

Cirrus CS9301/CS9302? Should quote well under $10 in reasonable volume. I'm shooting for a 32M/32M core with Ethernet for around $20.

Reply to
Anders

funnily enough we have lots of experience with the EP9312, and had pretty much come to the conclusion that the 9301 was the best way to go cheaper, quickly.

I wish it booted from NAND though :-)