The Proper Way To Digress

Digressing a little is OK but when you digress, change the title to reflect the new topic.

That's my pet peeve.

Bret Cahill

Reply to
BretCahill

I've never seen a pet peeve... are they a friendly animal ?:-)

...Jim Thompson

My pet peeved on my good jacket - I wasn't impressed!

Ken

Reply to
Ken Taylor

I've never had a pet peeve on my jacket, but with four children and now six grandchildren, I've always had a baby-barf-yellow stain over the left shoulder of my jacket ;-)

I got so I liked the color so well I almost bought a 280Z of that color, but my wife said no.

...Jim Thompson

Well, your wife has good taste in cars, anyway. :-)

Ken

Reply to
Ken Taylor

Oh, I got my Z, it just was silver ;-) In fact I had two, a 1977 and a 1983, each one totaled in turn by each of my sons :-(

Then I discovered Q45s... powerful, but no teen appeal.

...Jim Thompson

Is aluminum too weak to wind into a coil or WHAT?

? ? ?

Bret Cahill

Reply to
BretCahill

On 10 Oct 2003 04:49:25 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (BretCahill) Gave us:

Finding aluminum wire with the proper, thin, high dielectric coatings on it, for use in transformers, is going to be tough or a special order item. Weak? No. Why use something that doesn't perform as well though? I squared R losses. Also making high current bonds to it is not as easy to do.

It will get hotter as well, reducing connection life, and raising failure likelihood. Also, the few points of transformer efficiency that are lost will be found in higher heat emission in the wire, and greater power input requisites to get the same job done.

Why f*ck with what works? Use Copper. You want special? Use Litz wire, or silver plated copper mag wire, or get all silver wire, if you dare to attempt such a special order case.

There are lots of wire makers that will make whatever you wish... at a price. If it ain't "off the shelf" it ain't gonna be cheap.

Reply to
DarkMatter

I'd try to match wits with Jim, but I'm only half-armed.

Reply to
JeffM

re: "I've never seen a pet peeve... are they a friendly animal ?:-)

They sulk a lot, but they are soft and squeezy. But I digress.......

Don

Reply to
Dbowey

Now! Now! Now! Keep your clothes on ;-)

...Jim Thompson

No. It can be alloyed/tempered for any use a human can dream up.

Reply to
JeffM

Wanna see somebody back-pedal?

JeffM

On 10 Oct 2003 11:32:20 -0700, jeffm snipped-for-privacy@email.com (JeffM) Gave us:

So what? If it makes a friggin' lower efficiency transformer, who the f*ck would want to have it "alloyed up"?

Sheesh. Aluminum sucks for transformers compared to copper.

Pretty simple.

Where are all those huge aluminum wound electrical generating stations at? Get back to me, when you get the data.

Reply to
DarkMatter